"Niederau" Niederau by Acirfa
Niederau Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 19 photos
Niederau is a perfect family ski resort or indeed for those learning to either ski or snowboard. Niederau is one of 4 villages that make up the Wildschonau area, so 4 churches, 4 fire brigades and even 4 brass bands, all make up this little community based in the Kitzbuhel Alps.
Send Photo to a Friend
THE LEGEND OF WILDSCHONAU
The Wildschonau was once a lake where a huge and terrible dragon lived. A courageous farmer tricked the dragon and killed it. In it's death throes the dragon bit a gorge through the mountain out to Kundl in the Inn Valley and the a lake emptied out through this gorge. This is how the Wildschonau and the Kundl Gorge were created.
A great plague caused by the dragon's rotting cadaver then overcame the valley and all around the people perished but for one man from the Wildschonau and one girl from the Brixen Valley. They met on the top of the Rosskopf on the Halsgatterl pass and the people of the Wildschonau are their descendents.
The Wildschonau Valley was endowed with the dragon coat of arms by the State Parliament in 1958.
This resort is quaint and sleepy, even at this time of the year, we found it a very quiet village, perfect for families but for the younger set, it probably does not offer enough evening entertainment. The reps will gear you up for great nights out but reality for us was at best an Elvis evening and at worst a few old boys' propping a bar up.
There are ski performances in the evening laid on by the ski instructors, there is tobogganing, snow walking and buses run to neighbouring ski resorts, which are included on your lift pass.
Our evenings, once filled with the appertising meals on offer and a little apres ski of course, continued with playing games and a few more drinks before we were all so tired from the days fresh air and exercise, we fell in to our beds.
- Pros:Quiet, easy access to ski lifts
- Cons:Low resort, not too much evening entertainment
Acirfa's Related Pages
Niederau Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Niederau
- 1 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Niederau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niederau
Photos in NiederauSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- West Sussex Intro, 34 reviews, 147 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 24 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 16 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fulpmes Intro, 7 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bonn Intro, 5 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues