"Mozambique" Ilha do Bazaruto by Acirfa
Ilha do Bazaruto Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 37 photos
We flew from Kruger airport into Vilanculous, a wonderfully basic airport where arrangements are made almost at time of arrival, for transfers to the islands in a light aircraft....an even lighter one than that which brings the passengers in from SA.
This stop, I think was a bit of a surprise to Michael who loves his western pleasures, for me, it was a delight, with just a truly basic bar to buy drinks from and an outside viewing deck to watch for and await your plane on, or take ten paces to the opposite side of the deck and you can watch the local children playing soccer and bounding about on dirt fields. We waited in this by gone era for the next leg of our journey, not knowing a definite time at which to expect our flight, we were told maybe an hour, maybe forty minutes, maybe half an hour....who cares, this is Africa, it's leave the clocks at home time and chill to the rythm of the continent.
As our plane made it's way down the runway, we all made our way to the downstairs exit, ready to board the 16 seater to Bazaruto Island, a short flight with stunning views of the crystal clear waters and islands.
An unspoilt part of our world and long may it remain that way.
Now, just to end the trip with, we were picked up, along with the pilots, from the landing strip (that is basically what it was) once the plane had been secured for the night, by a trailor attached to a tractor that took us through African villages and along the beach to our resort, which sports just 40 huts and a magnificently long and empty beach. Heaven!
Set on the lovely coastline, this is a game fisherman's paradise, bringing in sailors from South Africa who seek the beauty of this place to fish to their hearts delight, enjoying their catch at bbq's on the beach at the close of day.
Along with these enthusiasts, there is also a place for those who love to play in the sea; boats, skiing, body boarding as well as trips to other parts of the island for snorkeling and diving.
For us though, it was merely a time to chill out with walks along the beach and books on the sunbed's fitted in between the feeding times.
- Pros:Peaceful, beautiful
- Cons:Sea level drops considerably so a fair walk or trip out to reach the sea each day
- In a nutshell:Palm trees, empty beach, unspoilt
Please be aware that the flights to and from Bazaruto really are by light aircraft and therefor the luggage weight... more travel advice
Acirfa's Related Pages
Ilha do Bazaruto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MAGNIFICENT BAZARUTO ARCHIPELAGO."
- "Vilanculos of heaven and wonderful things..."
- "MZ - Ilha de Bazaruto"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha do Bazaruto
- Hotels in Ilha do Bazaruto
- Transportation in Ilha do Bazaruto
- Nightlife in Ilha do Bazaruto
- Restaurants in Ilha do Bazaruto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha do Bazaruto
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Ilha do Bazaruto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha do Bazaruto
Photos in Ilha do BazarutoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- West Sussex Intro, 34 reviews, 147 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 24 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 16 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fulpmes Intro, 7 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bonn Intro, 5 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues