"BEDFORDSHIRE" Top 5 Page for this destination Bedfordshire by Acirfa
Bedfordshire Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 253 photos
So what is about Bedfordshire which makes it seem so, well, unglamorous is perhaps the kindest description. Perhaps it is the proximity of its more glamorous neighbouring counties that detract? It is positioned amongst Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire, home to the Chiltern Hills, Aylesbury, Cambridge University and St Albans to mention just a few of the destinations of note that England has to offer. Ok there’s also Northamptonshire, a neighbour which has an equivalent dearth of talent when it comes to heritage and attractions, but three out of four aint bad!
But should you chose Bedfordshire as your destination of pleasure, the most noteworthy town (for noteworthy read biggest) is Luton-and that is most famed for the Martini advertisements of the early 80’s ‘Were you truly wafted from paradise?’-‘Nah Luton Airport’ ( whatever happened to Lorraine Chase?) or Eric Morecombe (now there’s a true legend!)
And yet, with a little delving, I’m sure the county will have a few treasures-no, it has no Cities and therefore no Cathedrals, but I’m told it does have heritage and history if one is patient and diligent. To its eternal credit though, it does act as home to two of the best attractions the UK has to offer.
Whilst Bedford Castle and Luton Hoo are apparently worth a mention in passing, I have no personal experience of visiting. But Whipsnade Animal Park and Woburn Abbey/Safari Park are, by many accounts, as fine family attractions as England has to offer. Both wildlife parks offer animals in a setting that, whilst not the wild for which they were intended, is exponentially better than the traditional zoo confines traditional associated with animals in captivity.
But that, I’m afraid, from this viewpoint, is that in terms of Bedfordshire-although I’m sure fellow VTer’s can put me straight on the delights I am missing here!
Acirfa's Related Pages
Bedfordshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Why visit Bedfordshire?"
- "Bedford, Hertfordshire"
- "Serene Castle and Country Village of Bedforeshire"
- "Whipsnade Zoo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bedfordshire
- Hotels in Bedfordshire
- Transportation in Bedfordshire
- Nightlife in Bedfordshire
- Restaurants in Bedfordshire
- Shopping in Bedfordshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Bedfordshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bedfordshire
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Bedfordshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bedfordshire
Top 10 Pages
- West Sussex Intro, 34 reviews, 147 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 24 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 16 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fulpmes Intro, 7 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bonn Intro, 5 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues