"Zambia" Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia by Acirfa
Zambia Travel Guide: 688 reviews and 1,644 photos
This is pure Africa, the look, the feel, the stunning natural beauty of it. Our visit took us to one of the wonders of the world, Mosi-oa-Tunya, translated as the Smoke that Thunders, to the majority of us better known as the Victoria Falls.
A Little History About The Falls
Discovered by Livingston, a Scots missionary and physician, who arrived in Africa in 1840, aged 27. He remained mainly in Africa from this age, becoming one of the greatest explorers of his era.
A battle with a lion cost him the use of his arm during his four year exploration of the Zambezi area, it was during this expedition that he came across the falls, the first European to do so. Livingstons words when he saw the falls were " scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angels in their flight".
Livingston continued his exploration, this time to locate the source of the Nile. He lost contact with the outside world and so Henry Stanley a journalist for the New York Herald was sent to find him. When eventually he did track Livingston down, in a village in deep Africa, Livingston was extremely ill, suffering with dysentry, sypholus plus a mass of other illnesses of which he died in April 1873 aged sixty.
His African escorts, took his heart and burried it in Africa whilst his body was carried by his loyal bearers to the coast to returned to England, where it lies in West Minster Abbey.
The falls not being in full flood (this happens between March to May time) meant we had the opportunity to walk across the river bed and explore the small rock pools where locals fish and swim. It also meant we could take advantage of swimming in the pool on the edge of the falls and be crazy enough to hang over the edge of the falls and peer into the crevice below where the river flows and the currents rush by at 40 mph. An exhilarating experience indeed, one that will stay with me as one of the moments that took my breathe away in life.
The Zambezi is everything and more that one can expect; with the sun setting, the rays casting their last fingers across the surface of the shimmering river, reaching into the bush to lure the wildlife out for a sundowner before partaking of the nights rest or feast - words are lost to me for description enough to express the inner feeling of emotion and wonderment brought about by this oh so splendorous piece of nature on our Earth.
To add to it's beauty, the people enhance the country, friendly, helpful and a smile ready to be exchanged.
Great accommodation after a long hard cycle....um all except those inviting and large looking showers did not live up to... more travel advice
The Village of Kaloma found itself over run with cyclists and hence it's hostels and hotels taken over. Some of us... more travel advice
Acirfa's Related Pages
Zambia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zambia - African nutshell"
- "Zambia, check your transport first!!"
- "Three Years in Zambia !"
- "Canoeing on Zambezi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zambia
- Hotels in Zambia
- Transportation in Zambia
- Nightlife in Zambia
- Restaurants in Zambia
- Shopping in Zambia
- Warnings and Dangers in Zambia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zambia
- 19 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Zambia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zambia
- Posted in Travel Santorini Island Forum "Re: Where to stay..."
- updated a Zambia Travelogue "Cycle Zambia Challenge 2009 - PICS"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cycle Zambia Challenge 2009 - PICS"
- Wrote a Review Mazabuka Village Accommodation in Zambia Hotels
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Zambia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- West Sussex Intro, 34 reviews, 147 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Intro, 24 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tanzania Intro, 16 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fulpmes Intro, 7 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bonn Intro, 5 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues