"Tambopata and Madre de Dios" Top 5 Page for this destination Tambopata by ryuhome
Tambopata Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 78 photos
At first we wanted to pick a jungle lodge about an hour by boat from Puerto Maldonado. We booked too late and all the nearby lodges were full. We ended up joining the Wasai expedition.
We travelled three and a hlf hour upstream Rio Tambopata to stay in their lodge there. The next day, we started at four o'clock in the morning for another two hours boat ride to the Macaw Clay Lick. It was the boat ride of my life. It started out under moonlight, then we saw the sunrise. There were parts that we had to steer through rapids and there were a stretch of shallow water where the guide and the boat operator had to get off the boat and push the boat across the river while wading in water.
On the next to the last day, we headed back to Puerto Maldonado and went downstream on the Madre the Dios to explore Sandoval Lake. It is the most tranquil and beautiful lake I've ever seen. We saw the prehistoric-looking birds, the hoatzins, we saw herons, kingfishers, caimens, etc. And we watched river otters chasing fish for lunch. It was wonderful.
There's alot of boat ride on this trip. The prices is higher than other lodges closer to Puerto Maldonado, but the experience is well worth it.
- Pros:beautiful scenery, wildlife, rustic and adventurous
- In a nutshell:Quite an experience for the moderately adventurous!
It cost another $20USD to get into the reserved area. Factor this into your expenses. more travel advice
Nice open setting, good food. Tiger catfish cooked in bamboo casing. more travel advice
ryuhome's Related Pages
Tambopata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tambopata and Madre de Dios"
- "Tambopata, a pristine Peruvian rainforest"
- "Into the Amazon"
- "The call of the jungle"
- "Amazon Experience 2001"
- "Ecotourism at its best"
- "Tambopata- Refugio Amazonas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tambopata
- Hotels in Tambopata
- Transportation in Tambopata
- Nightlife in Tambopata
- Restaurants in Tambopata
- Warnings and Dangers in Tambopata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tambopata
- 19 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Tambopata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tambopata
Photos in TambopataSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Departamento de Cusco Intro, 33 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machu Picchu Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tambopata Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Honfleur Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Dinan Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Chincheros Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Lima Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Ollantaitambo Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Puerto Maldonado Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Pisac Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.