"A short trip to a small country" Amsterdam by abi_maha
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,372 reviews and 21,783 photos
My husband had been posted on work in NL, so after listening to him rave about the beauty of this place for a month I decided to take a break and join him for a fortnight. having completed a week here now, I must say I am very glad I did that!!Day1:19th may 2008
Having taken Air France, I sat through a very uncomfortable flight with hardly any 'asian vegeterian' food that I was promised! Then followed the confusion of a flight that was delayed and a terminal change in CDG that almost ensured I missed my KLM to Amsterdam!
However it was all worth it to see my husband waiting at the lounge to pick me up at the amsterdam airport, and what an airport- one of the most organised one I have been to!
However my happiness was short lived as I learnt from him that the famous tulip gardens of Keukenhof closed on 18th may!! I had just missed it by a day!
We headed to our hotel- Blue Towers in Bossen Lommerplein , a nice place with a good view on the seventh floor Very courteous receptionists who spoke impeccable english!
The Amsterdam canal system is the result of conscious city planning. A comprehensive plan was developed that was based on four concentric half-circles of canals with their ends emerging at the IJ bay. Known as the Grachtengordel, three of the canals are mostly for residential development: Those are the Herengracht (Gentleman's Canal), Keizersgracht (Emperor's Canal), and Prinsengracht (Prince's Canal’). The fourth and outermost canal, the Singelgracht (not to be confused with the older Singel), served purposes of defense and water management. The defensive purpose was established by moat and earthen dikes, with gates at transit points, but otherwise no masonry superstructures.The map of Amsterdam thus looks very interesting with concentric canals and I had a fun time walking or cycling thru the city reading the same :)
Amsterdam is the capital of Netherlands and being famous for unique reasons such as the RLD, free unrestricted doping and the first nation to legalise homosexuality I cannot say I wasn't curious about this little country! It has all the advantages of a big city: culture, nightlife, international restaurants, good transport - but is quiet, and largely thanks to its canals, has a little road traffic. In Amsterdam your destination is never far away, but get a bike for most authentic experience.
- Pros:Tolerant, beautiful and quaint
- In a nutshell:High on life!
We were out to celebrate and wanted a restaurant within walking distance- hence Michelangelo. Lasagne- it just melts in... more travel advice
Madurodam was quaint, all the miniatures looked very pretty. I didn't know that it was a war memorial built by Mr Madur... more travel advice
abi_maha's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 13 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Sri Lanka Forum "Re: places to stay near airport?"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Amsterdam travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Amsterdam
- Wrote a Review Italian food and house wine about Michelangelo in Amsterdam Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cruise the evening away!"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "A short trip to a small country"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangalore Intro, 53 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 20 reviews, 81 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Hampi Intro, 16 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Newark Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Put-in-Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos