"Chikmagalur- the origin of coffee in India" Chikmagalur by abi_maha
Chikmagalur Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 105 photos
Chikmagalur is situated in south western part of Karnataka. It is about a 6 hour drive from Bangalore, the roads have just been relaid and if you go via Hassan, the NH-48 is being converted into a 6 lane highway, so it makes for a pleasurable drive.
Enroute you can stop at Belur & Halebid, both of which host some of the best architectural marvels- temples that are a must see for anyone touring this region. Not only are these sites well maintained, the government refrains from collecting any entrance fees since they are active temples.
Another 50 KMs and you reach the quaint town of Chikmagalur- there really is nothing much to see in Chikmaglur town, but being the headquarters of India's largest coffee chain- Cafe Coffee Day, this city hosts some of the best coffee estates in the country and it is this that attracts tourists through out the year.
The backdrop of the Western Ghats is refreshing and some of the peaks here are a trekker's delight!
We were surprised to note that this city was pretty much untouched and not at all commercialised.However hotels were sparse- there is the Taj Garden retreat and The Serai- these are fantastic properties but everything else apart from these are very rudimentary with hardly any facilities. Don't even expect hot water 24/7
The Serai is a luxury property in one of Cafe Coffee Days smallest coffee estate. The estate itself is 70 acres, the property forms 7 acres of these. With well spaced villas that have either a pool or a jacuzzi they make for a serene getaway from the city's madding crowds.
In Chickmagalur district, the major commercial crop is coffee. Other commercial crops are Pepper, Cashew nuts etc.. mullain giri, the highest peak in Karnataka (viz., 6,317 feet high from Sea Level) is 12 Kms away from Chickmagalur. Number of rivers originates from the hills of Chickmagalur district and flow in all the seasons. Rivers such as, Bhadra, Tunga, Hemavathi, Netravathi & Vedavathi. Several minerals are found in the district such as iron, magnetite, granite etc., major iron ore company in Asia is located at Kudremukha in Mudigere taluk of Chickmagalur district.
The district is dotted with many holy spots and abounds in legends associated with stories from the great epics, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. Right from ancient times the numerous 'agraharas' have been lively centers of educational and cultural pursuits. Dating back to the early centuries of the Christian era are numerous epigraphs which give a vivid pictures of the rise and fall of empires in the state.
- Pros:Get away from mad rush
- In a nutshell:Awesome weekend getaway from bangalore
Just head of on a walk on any of the many ridges in and around the Dattatreyapeeta for a dreamy walk in the mist more travel advice
A visit to the Dattatreya peeta in Bababudabgiri hills is a must for those who love walking thru tall grass in mist :)... more travel advice
abi_maha's Related Pages
Chikmagalur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chikmagalur- the origin of coffee in India"
- "CHIKMAGALUR: IN THE COFFEE COUNTRY"
- "Weekend getaway from Bangalore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chikmagalur
- Hotels in Chikmagalur
- Transportation in Chikmagalur
- Nightlife in Chikmagalur
- Restaurants in Chikmagalur
- Warnings and Dangers in Chikmagalur
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chikmagalur
- 10 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Chikmagalur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chikmagalur
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangalore Intro, 53 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 20 reviews, 81 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Newark Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Put-in-Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Jaisalmer Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos