"Madikeri- Capital of Coorg" Madikeri by abi_maha
Madikeri Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 144 photos
Also known as Kodagu, this district of karnataka is famous for its coffee and orange orchards. Situated at a distance of around 250 kms from bangalore, it makes for an easy weekend getaway from here which is probably the reason I dont remember exactly how many times I have visited Coorg in my life!
The capital of Coorg, this quaint town is at an altitude of 1525 meters above sea level and is in one of the greenest stretches of the Western Ghats. One can have a glimpse of the Arabian sea from the peak of Madikeri. It is lovely and enchanting and truly a trekkers paradise!It houses a nineteenth century fort, the Omkareshwara temple, the Raja's seat in a garden and tombs of kings at Gaddige. The famous Abbey Falls is also quaintly nested here and so is the picturesque Irruppu falls
The enticing aroma of coffee is very effective in awakening any south indian to life! Thats ecactly what happened in Coorg with us, even as the cook brewed coffee in the mornings we would all wake up and queue up to have a glass of the same! Surprisingly they served coffee with minimal milk and jaggery whereas at home we serve the same with more milk and sugar!
A walk thru any of the estates is a sensory experience for your nostrils as various aromas of spices like cardamom, pepper and cinamon waft thru the air!
- Pros:Green terrain, coffee estates and orange orchards
- Cons:Bad roads in interiors
- In a nutshell:Cheers with coffee and a toast to nature!
Homestay in a coffee estate is an awesome experience esp if you have the right people for company! Dheeraj and Keertana... more travel advice
When it rains in Coorg it pours! But then when it lets up you are sure to catch a rainbow! We saw one that looked more... more travel advice
abi_maha's Related Pages
Madikeri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "COORG-The Land of the Kadagu Kodavas"
- "Madikeri- Capital of Coorg"
- "Coorg - Southern Delight"
- "Madikeri, the capital of Coorg or Kodagu district"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madikeri
- Hotels in Madikeri
- Transportation in Madikeri
- Restaurants in Madikeri
- Shopping in Madikeri
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Madikeri
- 13 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Madikeri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madikeri
Photos in MadikeriSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangalore Intro, 53 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 20 reviews, 81 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Newark Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Put-in-Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Jaisalmer Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos