"Munnar- India's answer to Sweden" Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar by abi_maha
Munnar Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 337 photos
Munnar is breathtakingly beautiful and peaceful making for an idyllic tourist destination in God's own country-Kerala.
Set at an altitude of 6000 ft in Idukki district, Munnar was the favored summer resort of the erstwhile British rulers in the colonial days. Unending expanse of tea plantations - pristine valleys and mountains- exotic species of flora and fauna in its wild sanctuaries and forests -sighting elephants is a given! My first visit to this hill station was in 2001, I was so besotted by its quaint untouched charm that I have returned 5 times since! Tucked away in the Niligiri ranges of Kerala Munnar offers the nature lover everything he seeks- lush green mountains, never ending tea gardens, dams, waterfronts, wild goats, elephants, wild life safaris and shikara boating :)
Altitude : 1600 Mts to 1800 Mts above sea level
Temperature : Min. 0 c - Max. 25 c
Clothing : Warm Clothes and Rain Gear
Tourist Season : August to March
With around 50000 hectares of tea gardens leased out to the Tatas and other popular tea brands, Munnar is truly a sea of tea gardens. From a distance the unending hills look like they are covered by green carpets and not a shade of green missing in that!
There are lakes and dams which make for an awesome outing in Munnar. In the cool climes of this place to take a speed boat ride or go for a peaceful shikara boat rise is an awesome experience. The scenery all around is simple breathtaking
- Pros:Breathtakingly scenic, non touristy
- In a nutshell:India's sweden
Tough to navigate the hilly terrain on any other vehicle, our ambassador car was fantastic. Would definitely recommend... more travel advice
It is common to catch a glimpse of wild elephants crossing the road! Exciting moment for us as we watched the same... more travel advice
abi_maha's Related Pages
Munnar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A post Monsoon trip to MUNNAR"
- "Munnar - A breath of fresh air!"
- "Munnar- India's answer to Sweden"
- "MUNNAR THE QUEEN OF THE NILGIRIS"
- "The fantastic world of Ayurveda"
- "Munnar is a famous hill station"
- "Munnar - A Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munnar
- Hotels in Munnar
- Transportation in Munnar
- Nightlife in Munnar
- Restaurants in Munnar
- Shopping in Munnar
- Warnings and Dangers in Munnar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munnar
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Munnar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munnar
- Posted in Travel Sri Lanka Forum "Re: places to stay near airport?"
- Commented on one of ushar's Munnar travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Munnar
- Wrote a Review Sturdy ambassador in Munnar Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Elephant crossing the road"
- updated a Munnar Travel Page "Munnar- India's answer to Sweden"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangalore Intro, 53 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 20 reviews, 81 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Hampi Intro, 16 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Newark Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Put-in-Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos