"Pondy- Serene and beautiful!" Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry by abi_maha
Pondicherry Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 450 photos
Pondicherry was once a french colony, infact it was the largest French Colony in India.....till date u can see the french side of the union territory with all its paris-like "rue de....' streets :-) Till date French is widely understood here and you will find many tamilians from here who have 'migrated' to Paris when you visit Paris! It has a lovely beach and the tourism department is also very efficient :-)
It is very well connected from the Indian metro city Chennai, being just under 160 kms away the East Coast Road makes for a brilliant early morning drive to Pondi and thats how this has been a fav weekend getaway for me whenever I am in Chennai (the town where most of my kith and kin reside). Blue skies and clear blue seas are a beckoning that few can resist indeed!
This ashram promotes unity among the various religionsof the world. To build this matrumandir soil was brought from around 223 countries! It is indeed a beautiful place......
Sri Aurobindo was born in Calcutta on 15 August 1872. At the age of seven he was taken to England for education and in 1890 went up to King's College, Cambridge. Returning to India in 1893, he worked for the next thirteen years in the Princely State of Baroda in the service of the Maharaja and as a professor in Baroda College. During this period he also joined a revolutionary society and took a leading role in secret preparations for an uprising against the British Government in India.Sri Aurobindo had begun the practice of Yoga in 1905 in Baroda. In 1908 he had the first of several fundamental spiritual realisations. In 1910 he withdrew from politics and went to Pondicherry in order to devote himself entirely to his inner spiritual life and work. During his forty years in Pondicherry he evolved a new method of spiritual practice, which he called the Integral Yoga. Its aim is a spiritual realisation that not only liberates man's consciousness but also transforms his nature. In 1926, with the help of his spiritual collaborator, the Mother, he founded the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. Among his many writings are The Life Divine, The Synthesis of Yoga and Savitri. Sri Aurobindo left his body on 5 December 1950.
Shall write more details of the Matrumandir in the tips.
* The Beach
* Barathi Park
* Botanical garden
* Chunnambar Boat House(which is crowded on holidays and weekends)
* Oustery Lake(Only as a view but not developed, there is a TTDC property there if one wants a quiet getaway)
* Paradise Beach
* Sri Aurobindo Ashram
* Government Museum
* Auroville city
* Boat House
* Manakula Vinayagar Temple
* Villianur - St. Lourd Church (7Km from Pondicherry towards Villupuram)
* Villianur Thirukameeswarar Temple
- Pros:Beaches and Yoga Ashram
- Cons:Weather is mostly sweltering thru the year
- In a nutshell:Getaway to beauty and tranquility
Catch the sunrise from any of the beaches on the Cuddalore road stretch, you are bound to get a fantastic shot with the... more travel advice
The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix is situated in the beach road, you reach it at the end of the promenade road and... more travel advice
abi_maha's Related Pages
Pondicherry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pondicherry: Relaxing & Charming"
- "Pondicherry - Just nice!!!"
- "Pondy- Serene and beautiful!"
- "Pondicherry - India's French Connection"
- "Pondicherry - The French Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pondicherry
- Hotels in Pondicherry
- Transportation in Pondicherry
- Nightlife in Pondicherry
- Restaurants in Pondicherry
- Shopping in Pondicherry
- Warnings and Dangers in Pondicherry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pondicherry
- 24 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Pondicherry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pondicherry
Photos in PondicherrySee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangalore Intro, 53 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 20 reviews, 81 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Hampi Intro, 16 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Newark Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Put-in-Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos