"Split, Dalmatia, Croatia" Dalmatia - Split Region by ruki
Dalmatia - Split Region Travel Guide: 1,696 reviews and 5,068 photos
Split is the economic and administrative center of Middle Dalmatia, with about 200,000 inhabitants.
It is also the jumping-off point for exploration of the coast and islands of the beautiful Croatian Adriatic. The site was first settled when, at the end of the third century AD, the Roman Emperor Diocletian built his palace here.
The importance of Diocletian's Palace far transcends local significance because of its level of preservation and the buildings of succeeding historical periods built within its walls, which today form the very heart of old Split.
Many of Split's historical and cultural buildings can be found within the walls of Diocletian's Palace. In addition, numerous museums, the National Theatre, and old churches and other archeological sites in the Split region make it an important cultural attraction.
In the First century AC, Trogir became Roman municipality "TRAGURIUM CIVIUM ROMANORUM" joined to Salona, center of Roman province of Dalmatia. Upon the fall of the Roman Empire in Fifth century, Trogir has been developed as a independent town.
In the Sixth century, the Croats settled in Trogir area and began creating works of art. Right from the beginning of the Middle Ages the old Greek town of Tragurion felt the fire of the new medieval culture. Builders and masons built churches and decorated it with interlaced ornamentation.
North of Split, on the way to Sinj, rises the fortress of Klis. It was built to defend this region from the Turkish... more travel advice
ruki's Related Pages
Dalmatia - Split Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Split region"
- "Split, Dalmatia, Croatia"
- "Beautiful Dalmatia"
- "Central Dalmatia- Split region"
- "An adventure holiday in Dalmatia"
- "Croatia / Adriatic seaside"
- "Wellcome on Island Brac Postira"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dalmatia - Split Region
- Hotels in Dalmatia - Split Region
- Transportation in Dalmatia - Split Region
- Nightlife in Dalmatia - Split Region
- Restaurants in Dalmatia - Split Region
- Shopping in Dalmatia - Split Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Dalmatia - Split Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dalmatia - Split Region
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Dalmatia - Split Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dalmatia - Split Region
Photos in Dalmatia - Split RegionSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 61 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- Vienna Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Kotor Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos
- Strasbourg Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue