"A REFUGE FOR THE SEABIRDS." Isla Contoy by Mairo21
Isla Contoy Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 18 photos
A national park and sanctuary, Isla Contoy is 6 miles long, and is considered the most important island for nesting marine birds in the Carribean Sea. There is no freshwater here. Only salt water. Birds here have a special gland in their bill that separates salt from water. The only predators birds have here would be the falcons and snakes. By boat, it is about 2-2.5 hour ride from Cancun. CONTOY is a Mayan word and when translated into English, it means Pelican. This type of error happened a lot. When the Spaniards discovered this island, because of the language barrier, it is believed, that the Spanish asked the Mayans, "What is the name of this island?" Perhaps at the moment the question was asked, they were pointing towards some Pelicans. So the Mayan's responded by saying "CONTOY." Hence the island was stuck with the name.
I mainly came to the island to see birds, but because weather was not permitting, there was not much to see or do, while on the island for the past 3 hours. I saw a lot of frigate birds, a few pelicans, some plovers, some iguanas,and a lot of hermit crabs while on tour. The plants surrounding the island were also interesting. There was a subtle, yet sweet scent of the sea lavender, that is quite commonly found throughout the island.
Perhaps I will come back to the island on another trip when the sun is out. THUNDER and LIGHTNING, the whole time I was there. Not bad weather, just a different kind of good weather! Here comes the rain!
Hey, you came here by boat. It took you 2 hours to get here. If you don't see animals, just have fun, and take pictures... more travel advice
Mairo21's Related Pages
Isla Contoy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Contoy is more than a Bird Sanctuary"
- "A REFUGE FOR THE SEABIRDS."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Contoy
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Isla Contoy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Contoy
Photos in Isla ContoySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos
- Beijing Intro, 15 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Xi'an Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Maui Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Isla Contoy Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos