"Hagen - a castle in the middle of nowhere" Hagen im Bremischen by Airpunk

Hagen im Bremischen Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 13 photos

I am sure that noone would ever get lost enough to find him- or herself in Hagen. This place is off the beaten path, even if it is located close to two larger cities, Bremen and Bremerhaven. Unfortunately, Hagen is far away from the railway track and the buses to Bremen, Bremerhaven and other places beginning with Brem like Bremervörde are not running very often. And yes, there is also the main reason for not seeing Hagen: There is quite nothing to see here. It is a typical german small town where nothing interesting enough has ever happened to make it a tourist spot. The local castle, the oldest building in town, doesn’t even look like a castle and is the tyniest building of its kind I have ever seen.

But it was this castle which drove me there: Hagen’s castle is sometimes used for exhibitions and that’s why I went there. My university professor made an interesting exhibition about whaling and the change of the whale’s image from the 16th century to present times. Unfortunately, due to its location it didn’t received many visitors and they even had to the turn lights on for me. Afterwards, I took a walk through the small nature sanctuary of Königsmoor. In total, it was an unusual day at an unusual destination.

• Pros:Real rural northern Germany
  • Cons:public transport
  • Last visit to Hagen im Bremischen: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2009

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Nice tips and photos! The Königsmoor looks like a place in New Jersey called The Great Swamp.

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Hagen im Bremischen

Have you been to Hagen im Bremischen?

Latest Activity in Hagen im Bremischen