"Magic Muharraq" Al Muharraq by Airpunk
Al Muharraq Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 135 photos
There is an island, a governmental district (governorate) and a city with the name Al Muharraq (or just "Muharraq"). I will focus on the city of Muharraq which is where most places of interest are. Muharraq does not attract tourists in the same way Manama does. However, it gives you a more authentic image of Arab life, especially while walking through the streets of the souq. Old trades have survived in Muharraq and nowehere on the island, pearl diving and pearl cultivation are celebrated so much as here. In fact, pearl trade in Muharraq (and its respective sites) has been given UNESCO World Heritage Status, the second place to recieve this title in Bahrain after Bahrain Fort.
Sites of interest includes the old town with some nice interesting old houses, Arad fort and the modern coastal promenade along Khalifa Al Khabeer Highway.
The third-largest city is located on the second-largest island of Bahrain and was Bahrain's capital until 1923. Several causeways and bridges connect Muharraq with Manama and the main island of Bahrain.
The streets of central Muharraq are not spectacular - no traditional stands, but no modern shopping malls either. They... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Al Muharraq Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The old part of Manama"
- "Magic Muharraq"
- "PLEASE MOVE ON TO OTHER PAGES"
- "Muharraq Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Muharraq
- Hotels in Al Muharraq
- Transportation in Al Muharraq
- Shopping in Al Muharraq
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Muharraq
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Al Muharraq?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Muharraq
- Posted in Travel Rotterdam Forum "Re: Delfshaven - Getting there on..."
- Commented on one of Airpunk's Al Muharraq travel pages
- Wrote a Review Muharraq Souq and old houses in Al Muharraq Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Muharraq Souq and old houses"
- created a Al Muharraq Travel Page "Magic Muharraq"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 115 reviews, 271 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues