"Warsaw - The Polish Capital - a city of history" Warsaw by Airpunk

Warsaw Travel Guide: 3,058 reviews and 7,491 photos

2 and a half days in Warsaw

My trip to Warsaw was pretty spontaneous as I got the flight tickets by chance just three weeks before the trip. That was the reason why I had to travel in one of Europe's coldest winters of the 21st century to a European capital which is not particularly known for sunshine and a hot climate. A friend accompanied me on this trip and I had the chance to meet my Polish friend from Wroclaw for a day in Warsaw. He turned out to be a good city guide and altogether, we saw more than we expected in 2 ˝ days of Warsaw.

After all the nice moments we spent laughing, drinking and chatting, the highlight were the remains of the Warsaw Ghetto. There were many interesting places which show a piece of Warsaw's Jewish history, but none was as impressive as a street which was left in the same state as it was when the Ghetto was evacuated in May 1943. The old town, which was reconstructed after WWII to its original state and became one of the first UNESCO World Cultural Heritage sites and is also among the places you should not miss. Other interesting places for the sightseeing crowd are the Royal Palace and the Stalinist Cultural Palace.

Even if we saw a lot of the city in our limited time, 2 ˝ days are not enough, if you want to go a little deeper into the matter than just having a quick look at the most interesting places. For those who wish to stay longer, I would not recommend winter time as much of Warsaw is explored by foot and a Polish winter is not the most comfortable climate to walk around in the city.

Some Warsaw history

The area around around was settled for the first time permanently around the 9th century. The name as said to come from a couple, the prince War and the mermaid Szawa. The name is most probably related to fishermen anyway. It was a mid-sized city during the most of the middle ages, but its fate changed when the seat of government was transferred from Krakow in the mid 16th century. Under King Jan Sobieski, building projects were undertaken in the city and many of the historical buildings date from this time of prosperity in the mid-17th century. However, as Poland's power began to dwindle, Warsaw itself suffered from it and finally became part of the Prussian Empire and after the third and final partition of Poland. As result of the Vienna Congress, it became part of Russia in 1815.
The Second Republic, an independent Poland which arose from the ashes of WWI was a short-lived state, but here Warsaw again became the capital of an independent country. The city has its darkest hours in WWII when it was under the rule of the Nazis and almost destroyed during bombings. The time of Soviet Occupation and later communism were not the brightest either, but at least Warsaw was allowed to rise from ashes. The historical town centre was reconstructed, although even plans existed to demolish the city as a whole and rebuilt in on another place. Today, Warsaw is the capital of a democratic Poland, which is struggling to find its role as a capital of a post-communist country in the eastern part of the European Union.

• Pros:A city rich in history
  • Cons:Not as cheap as most places in Poland
  • Last visit to Warsaw: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Karl, fantastic start about Warsaw here. Yes, the business hotels of Warsaw can be indeed very cheap on weekends. Please keep me informed about your updates here as Warsaw is among my favourite Polish cities as well.

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Warsaw