"Enkhuizen - VOC and three herrings" Top 5 Page for this destination Enkhuizen by Airpunk
Enkhuizen Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 480 photos
Spending some days in Flevoland, it is logical to try and find out a way to get over the Markerwaarddijk to the other side of the Ijsselmmer. Looking from Flevoland, the place on the other side is Enkhuizen, an old dutch harbour town with long history. My first try on July 23rd 2007 failed due to lack of knowledge. I relied on the bus connection between Lelystad and Enkhuizen, not knowing that this line runs only four times a day. I tried again a day later, this time by train and returning via bus. So, I came to Enkhuizen and had a day to explore this town with its maritime history.
Enkhuizen’s history goes back to humble origins in the middle ages, when it was a fishing village. It received city rights in 1385 and prospered from trade in the North and Baltic Sea. When overseas trade began to establish in the 16th century, Enkhuizen was one of the first towns to participate. It became one of the bases of the VOC, which had the exclusive dutch trading rights for East India. From the 18th century on, Enkhuizen was losing its position to Amsterdam and the prospering towns of South Holland, mainly Rotterdam. The silting up of the harbour and finally the closure of the Zuiderzee marked the end as a harbour town for Enkhuizen.
- Pros:Traditional old town with a good museum
- Cons:A little too boring to spend more than a day
The third large church in Enkhuizen’s old town is the Franciscus Xaverius Kerk, the roman catholic church of the town.... more travel advice
The Zuiderkerk (southern church), formerly and now again also known by the name of St. Pancras’ church. Although it is a... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Enkhuizen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enkhuizen - VOC and three herrings"
- "Enkhuizen and the Zuiderzee museum"
- "Southern Sea centre where VOC met the fishermen"
- "Enkhuizen on a rainy day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Enkhuizen
- Hotels in Enkhuizen
- Transportation in Enkhuizen
- Restaurants in Enkhuizen
- Shopping in Enkhuizen
- Warnings and Dangers in Enkhuizen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Enkhuizen
- 13 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Enkhuizen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Enkhuizen
Photos in EnkhuizenSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos