"Gorinchem of Gorkum" Gorinchem by Airpunk
Gorinchem Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 116 photos
Somewhere in the east of the Province of Zuid-Holland, there’s s small town with a large history. Many Dutch only know it, because it appears quite often in the traffic news. The town is called Gorinchem or Gorkum or Gorcum or whatever. Call it how you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that Gorinchem – together with Woudrichem and Loevestein – is an interesting destination for a daytrip.
The town was first mentioned in 1224 and became an important trading point in this region. Being situated on a strategically important place, it suffered from damage during different wars. And although the old town was refurbished to get the usual pedestrian shopping zone you see everywhere, some old houses have survived. What I would like to recommend is a simple walk around all the small canals. Probably, Gorinchem is not the town to have an explicit special attraction, but the town as a whole is something worth a visit. Note that this also counts for the cities fortification, which have maintained a similar shape since their installation in 1609.
As an old trading town, Gorinchem is full of canals leading from river Linge and Merwede through the town. Some of them... more travel advice
Gorinchem’s old town is full of beuatiful houses with many of them dating back to the “gouden eeuw” – the golden 17th... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Gorinchem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gorcum or Gorinchem, what will it be"
- "Gorinchem of Gorkum"
- "Gorinchem Page"
- "Gorinchem and its surroundings"
- "Coming soon........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gorinchem
- Transportation in Gorinchem
- Restaurants in Gorinchem
- Shopping in Gorinchem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gorinchem
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Gorinchem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gorinchem
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 32 reviews, 111 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos