"Hoek van Holland - Rotterdam aan Zee" Hoek van Holland by Airpunk
Hoek van Holland Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 262 photos
Hoek van Holland is known for two things: Its ferry harbour and its beach. The beach is popular all year round: In summer for swimming and sunbathing, in winter for taking a walk along the shore. The ferry harbour is the maritime gateyway to the UK. Also, all sea ships coming from/ going to Rotterdam have to pass by Hoek van Holland as the town is situated at the estuary mouth of the “Nieuwe Waterweg”. It is now part of the city of Rotterdam and took over the functions that Rotterdam – as a non-coastal town - can not fulfill. This fact gave Hoek van Holland the nickname “Rotterdam aan Zee” – Rotterdam at the sea.
Hoek van Holland (The corner of Holland, sometimes just called “de Hoek”) was founded in the second half of the 19th century. Throughout its history, it was influenced by the military. Shortly after its foundation, a coastal fort was built. During the german occupation, further fortifications were added, inclduing a bunker system. And today, a couple of attractions were built around the bunkers and other military stuff. Hoek van Holland is trying to develop more attractions and offer many sport activites. However, those plan are still in progress.
In my opinion, the town of Hoek van Holland itself is not really interesting. The military and maritime activities brought many changes within a short time. The high number of new, small and uninspired buildings give it a flair of an artificial sea resort. Almost all sights have something to do with the old fort or the bunkers and – to be honest – that’s not my kind of thing. For me, the reason to go to de Hoek was to spend some time at the beach and read a book. And for that purpose, Hoek van Holland is a good destination.
- Pros:Beach close to Rotterdam
- Cons:There isn't much to see and visit
If you do not want to leave the Netherlands by ferry, the beach is surely the main reason to come to Hoek van Holland.... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Hoek van Holland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holland's Corner"
- "Hoek van Holland in 1995"
- "Hoek van Holland"
- "Where Holland ends ...."
- "Tijger's new Hoek van Holland Page"
- "Hoek van Holland - Rotterdam aan Zee"
- "Stormy Hoek van Holland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoek van Holland
- Transportation in Hoek van Holland
- Restaurants in Hoek van Holland
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoek van Holland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hoek van Holland
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Hoek van Holland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoek van Holland
Photos in Hoek van HollandSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 32 reviews, 111 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos