"Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam by Airpunk

Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,807 photos

It is not the largest or the most beautilful city I visted. But it is the one which won my sympathies after just a few hours. Rotterdam is a city with slightly more than half a million inhabitants, but it has more international flair than larger cities (for example my current hometown Hamburg). It is (fortunately) not very well known as a tourist destination and may even have a negative image - indeed the song from "The Beautiful South" describes a quite negative scene of very superficial people. And modern architecture is surely not everyone's taste. Give it a chance! You'll have fun discovering nice old buildings between impressing modern architecture and enjoy a large bandwith of international food and drinks. The last comes from a mixture of people from over 100 nations. They may have different characters, but I can only talk in a positive way about the Rotterdamers I met: Open minded people and everything but superficial. And last but not least, you will get a contrast to Amsterdam.

Some facts about Rotterdam: It is the second largest city in the Netherlands with around 600 000 inhabitants. The name comes from a dam at the river Rotte. Since ever, the city has been well known for trading activities and its port which was the world's largest for a long time. Now, after the boom in Asia, it is "only" Europe's largest port... It is said that Rotterdam earns the money which is administrated by The Hague and spent by Amsterdam. Now, the city is a center of modern architecture with a very international population and an active cultural scene.

Rotterdam is full of surprises which are waiting to be discovered - Rotterdam is unique!

Modern architecture...

...at it's best. Rotterdam's skyline is not only dominated by simple skyscrapers. The city has some of the most interesting varieties of modern buildings and monuments, for example the Kubuswoningen and the Erasmusbrug. At the Kop van Zuid, a whole new district is being built where we can expect more architectural surprises. The building shown on the picture is one of the first you will see when entering the Kop van Zuid via the Erasmusbrug.

• Pros:architecture, festivals, people from every corner of the world
  • Cons:the problems every bigger city has to face...
  • In a nutshell:Small Manhattan with a big heart
  • Last visit to Rotterdam: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2008

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hmm...not sure the 1980s architecture is my cup of tea, Karl. Some of the museums sound interesting though. Once again you have given me a comprehensive insight into a city I know little about!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I can see why you like Rotterdam so much. It has such ornate architecture and the Zoomer carnival looks interesting to be there when that happens. You did a good job of taking pictures and comments very helpful.

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Hey Karl, you asked me for new tips about the Netherlands. Have a look at my new Borger page about the hunebeds! Enjoy your holiday in July! Dennis

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Excellent Rotterdam on a budget tips.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Wow Rotterdan seems to be much more than a port!!! I would love to see everything!! FANTASTIC TIPS!;)

• Feb 10, 2007 at 8:23 AM

Really excellent new tips here Karl - I liked reading about the Marten Toonder monument.. I have a picture of it too - I had never heard of him before I researched the tip!

• marinarena's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 1:24 PM

I like the way you give attention and sympathy to a place like Rotterdam. You have given me a new feeling of the place..it seems worth a visit. Marie, California

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 1:52 PM

If I see someone in a far off exotic place with a backpack&naked then I will know it might b U! LOL .Did my first trip abroad alone on 10 GBP and crossed the Channel to France.Hitchiked with trucks and cars. Survived a month.But it was a cold November.Tim

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Rotterdam

Have you been to Rotterdam?

Latest Activity in Rotterdam