"Schiedam: Somewhere between Den Haag and Rotterdam" Top 5 Page for this destination Schiedam by Airpunk
Schiedam Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 95 photos
Schiedam is a town, now belonging to the Rotterdam metropolitan area. The town’s history dates back to the year 1250, when the river SCHIE was DAMmed and a village developed out of the trading point established there. Schiedam obtained city rights quickly in 1275. In the following centuries, Schiedam became an important fishing town, but its wealth mainly came from the gin (Jenever) distilleries. Later, also some dockyards settled down there.
Although Schiedam is still well-known for its gin, these industries only play a minor role and Schiedam has become some kind of Rotterdam suburb. Its history, its traditions and its old town make this town worth a visit. And the biggest advantage: It is so well-hidden between Rotterdam, Hoek van Holland and Den Haag that only a few tourist have discovered it…
- Pros:Not that spoiled by tourists, but easy to reach
The Zakkendragershuisje is the guild house of the harbour workers responsible for carrying the goods. Its small... more travel advice
The corn-exchange was built between 1787 and 1792 as a result of the growing gin industry in Schiedam. The façade of... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Schiedam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schiedam another neighbour"
- "Schiedam, of windmills and jenever"
- "The windmill town"
- "Schiedam: Somewhere between Den Haag and Rotterdam"
- "CITY OF THE SCHIE"
- "windmills and gin city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiedam
- Transportation in Schiedam
- Restaurants in Schiedam
- Shopping in Schiedam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schiedam
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Schiedam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiedam
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 32 reviews, 111 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos