"Gate to the Afsluitdijk with a well-known namesake" Zurich by Airpunk
Zurich Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos
No, this is not the (in)famous city in Switzerland which swims in money and is the secret capital of the country. This is a small town in Fryslan, in the north of the Netherlands. Zurich is only famous for two things: First, because of its name similarity to that Swiss city and second, because it is located on the eastern end of the Afsluitdijk, the artifical barrier separating the Ijsselmeer from the North Sea. So, everybody travelling over the Afslutidijk sees Zurich, at least on the signs on the motorway. As I had time, I took a look on the town.
Zurich itself is not really interesting. It has a couple of houses, a church and a lot of grassland. It is a typical Dutch village which gets some money from North Sea tourists. What was interesting was a small chat I had with Johan Sint Pollema, the owner of the local souvenir and fishing shop. I just went into the shop to see what there is on sale and maybe to buy a postcard. But Johan told me about the story which still earns him a living. His grandparents were named Sint Pollema and Botje Westra. Their first names are nicknames for Dutch coins (sint= 1c; botje= 2 ½ cent) and were the subject of many joketellers. Johan had the idea of printing bills of 1c, 2 ½ cent and 3 ½ cent, the latter one depicting both grandparents. Unfortunately, Johan got in problems with the Dutch authorities and the bills were not allowed to be sold. Johan had to rename his institution Zurich Zandbank, making clear that it is a fantasy product. The new bills, clearly stating Zandbank, are printed and sold by him. But the old bills are still seen on postcard. Johan is proud to tell you the story and if you like it or not, it has become part of the history of this small town in the northern Netherlands.
- In a nutshell:A quiet village with little to see
Although not well-known outside the Netherlands, he is surely one of the most important men in the younger Dutch... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Zurich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gate to the Afsluitdijk with a well-known namesake"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zurich
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Zurich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zurich
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos