"Foggy Ventspils" Top 5 Page for this destination Ventspils by Airpunk
Ventspils Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 116 photos
One morning, I woke up quite early without being able to sleep again. Meeting all the guys, coming back from their parties at 6 am, I went to the coach station. Without any idea where to go, I just decided to look at the timetables and catch the first bus going to one of Latvia?s larger cities. Less than half an hour later, I boarded a coach service to Ventspils.
Ventspils plays an important role in Latvias economy. It is the country?s main port for oil and oil related products. As a harbour town, it has profited from the uprising economy in the 1990s. Today, it is a large industrial center. Unfortunately, it means that Ventspils has not many attractions to offer. The tiny old town does not offer many interesting buildings, so that it is possible to see Ventspils in less than a day. Almost all interesting places are located along the Venta river, including a boulevard with view on the harbour and the South Mole walkway. With most attractions being outside and coast-related, your trip may depend on the weather. I really enjoyed the trip, although I probably saw the most dense fog of my life?
Officially, Ventspils? history starts in 1244 when a castle was founded here by the Livonian Order. But at that time, a small cour settlement had already existed for centuries. From the 14th to the 16th century, it was a member of the Hanseatic League. Like many other cities in the Baltic area, also Ventspils experienced many changes of ownership. Wars and treaties made the city change between Poland, Russia and other powers until it became part of the independent country of Latvia. During Soviet time, Ventspils began to establish its role as an oil port and many russians settled down here to work in the harbour industry. After Latvias independence in 1991, Ventspils is playing its key role stronger than before.
- Pros:Closer to reality than Riga
- Cons:Not much to see
- In a nutshell:Could someone turn off the fog machine, please?
Ventspils is a nice, but not necessarily beautiful town. The old twon has a couple of wooden buildings, but does not... more travel advice
At tiny town hall square, the largest building is St. Nicholas church which was erected in 1835 in classisistic style.... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Ventspils Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ventspils ? nice seaside town, mixed old and new"
- "Ventspils - the Castle in the River Venta"
- "Sea, wind and nice town"
- "Foggy Ventspils"
- "Bonio in Ventspils"
- "Ventspils - beautiful port town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ventspils
- Hotels in Ventspils
- Transportation in Ventspils
- Restaurants in Ventspils
- Warnings and Dangers in Ventspils
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ventspils
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Ventspils?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ventspils
Photos in VentspilsSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 121 reviews, 291 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues