"Battle - 1066 and all that" Top 5 Page for this destination Battle by Airpunk

Battle Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 136 photos

Battle is the place where the famous "Battle of Hastings" really took place. It was on October 14th 1066 that the troops of William of Normandy met the troops of Harold Godwinson at Senlac Hill, resulting in one of the largest battles in medieval Europe's history. After his victory, William had an abbey built on the site of the battle. It is said that the main altar was built on the place where Harold Godwinson died. During the centuries, the town of Battle grew around this abbey.

So it is obvious that the main attraction are the ruins of Battle Abbey and the battlefield. I really recommend a visit to the museum (where you can easily spend a couple of hours), if you are interested in english history, so please check out my tip about the museum too.

Battle itself is a small town with only some thousand inhabitants. Beside the abbey, you can also enjoy some beautiful old houses in the old town.

• Pros:Nice old town with the site of one of the mos important events in european history
  • Cons:With exception of the abbey/battlefield, it has not much to offer
  • Last visit to Battle: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2006

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Thanks for the book recommendation -- I'll have to check it out sometime. Also, surprised to learn that they don't offer the tour in German and Spanish.

• TheView's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 12:52 PM

...Well I had to come here as well didn´t I?

• Aug 16, 2006 at 7:04 AM

Hi Karl You've done a really good job on this page, I never knew about that windmill at Caldbec hill so I think I should go and find it! Glad you enjoyed your visit to East Sussex!

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Battle