"Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by Airpunk

Cambridge Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 1,719 photos

My first visit to Cambridge was less inspired by the long tradition of being a traditional university city. It was more the proximity to Stansted Airport (or my living room, as some of my friends say…). This first visit, on July 21st 2007, was only a very short one. I was just on the way to the aircraft museum in Duxford (Imperial War Museum – IWM) and on the way back, I walked through the streets of Cambridge while waiting for my coach to Stansted. Slightly more than a week later, on July 29th, I spent a whole day in Cambridge – just between two other low-cost flights.

In 2011, I got the opportunity to work as a volunteer for the Duxford Aviation Society. This organisation is present at the IWM Duxford where it owns and maintains the collection of civil aircraft and land warfare equipment. Together with other volunteers, I did some smaller jobs in aircraft restoration where unskilled workers can be of use. Furthermore, I did some translations from English into a handful of European languages.
My time in Cambridge was really great as I met many new friends at work, at home and in Cambridge. Thanks to you all: Chris, Mary, Brian, Graham, Barbara, Max, Ben, the other Ben, Amy, James, Frances, Tina, Maura, Hasan, Steffi, Douglas, Mick, Hugh, Frank, Keith, Simon, John, Smudge, David, Tony, to everyone from Germany who visited me during this time and thanks to all others I have not mentioned, but have enriched my time in Cambridge.

Cambridge and beyond

Being based in Cambridge also meant that I had the chance to see many places in Cambridgeshire, East Anglia and surroundings. With the help of Brian, day trips went as far as Hampton Court and Cosford Air Museum near Birmingham. Among other day trips to be highlighted was the day when I was left stranded in Lincoln and the visit to Ely with a very good friend from Germany. That didn't mean that I didn't visit any sight in Cambridge at all. Of course, I took the chance to explore Cambridge in the best way I could: In the day to the Colleges, in the night to the pubs. Indeed, one might think that most sights are either college- or pub-related. And with the „Eagle“ there is even one which falls into both categories.

University and other sights

If you are looking for a building or building complex called “University of Cambridge”, you can look for hours. The University is formed out of 31 colleges, each with a different tradition and many of them with a history of over 500 years. Together with many other institutions they form the University of Cambridge, a world-renowned institution which dominates the academic landscape of the world as well as the City of Cambridge. Many museums are directly linked to the University, included the Scott Polar Research Institute and the museums of anthropology and archaeology. The colleges themselves do not offer only marvels of architecture, but have many smaller and larger interesting sights to offer for themselves. Sights not related to the university include buildings such as churches or some smaller museums like the local Folk Museum or the art exhibitions at Kettle Yard.
Beyond that, Cambridge is a very lively city to discover. The high number of students led to a very lively pub and music scene. The multicultural face of Cambridge can be found along Mill Road, an area which was once the domain of Irish immigrants. Today, it is the place to go for Indian restaurants, Irish pubs, Turkish grills and British Asian shops. Indeed, I haven't found a reason why people should not like Cambridge!

• Pros:So much academical tradition at one place - and even without the university, still a great place!
  • Cons:Good old english weather
  • Last visit to Cambridge: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for your detailed and personal page about the great destination!~

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I really enjoyed my virtual visit to Cambridge. I especially like your story about Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam -- and how you came up with your travel motto. I also really liked the commentary and photo on punting. Cheers!

• Oct 14, 2007 at 3:03 AM

I was only here for a day - we had a VT meeting here and went punting, but now I can see there is so much more to do! Great page Karl, and an excellent restaurant tip for a vegetarian! I didn't know Norfolk made vegetable tagines! Sounds lovely :)

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 2:11 PM

What an incredible place, I am sure you will write much more about Cambridge, I would love to see it closer!;)

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Cambridge

Have you been to Cambridge?