"Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by Airpunk
Cambridge Travel Guide: 864 reviews and 1,890 photos
My first visit to Cambridge was less inspired by the long tradition of being a traditional university city. It was more the proximity to Stansted Airport (or my living room, as some of my friends say?). This first visit, on July 21st 2007, was only a very short one. I was just on the way to the aircraft museum in Duxford (Imperial War Museum ? IWM) and on the way back, I walked through the streets of Cambridge while waiting for my coach to Stansted. Slightly more than a week later, on July 29th, I spent a whole day in Cambridge ? just between two other low-cost flights.
In 2011, I got the opportunity to work as a volunteer for the Duxford Aviation Society. This organisation is present at the IWM Duxford where it owns and maintains the collection of civil aircraft and land warfare equipment. Together with other volunteers, I did some smaller jobs in aircraft restoration where unskilled workers can be of use. Furthermore, I did some translations from English into a handful of European languages.
My time in Cambridge was really great as I met many new friends at work, at home and in Cambridge. Thanks to you all: Chris, Mary, Brian, Graham, Barbara, Max, Ben, the other Ben, Amy, James, Frances, Tina, Maura, Hasan, Steffi, Douglas, Mick, Hugh, Frank, Keith, Simon, John, Smudge, David, Tony, to everyone from Germany who visited me during this time and thanks to all others I have not mentioned, but have enriched my time in Cambridge.
Being based in Cambridge also meant that I had the chance to see many places in Cambridgeshire, East Anglia and surroundings. With the help of Brian, day trips went as far as Hampton Court and Cosford Air Museum near Birmingham. Among other day trips to be highlighted was the day when I was left stranded in Lincoln and the visit to Ely with a very good friend from Germany. That didn't mean that I didn't visit any sight in Cambridge at all. Of course, I took the chance to explore Cambridge in the best way I could: In the day to the Colleges, in the night to the pubs. Indeed, one might think that most sights are either college- or pub-related. And with the ?Eagle? there is even one which falls into both categories.
If you are looking for a building or building complex called ?University of Cambridge?, you can look for hours. The University is formed out of 31 colleges, each with a different tradition and many of them with a history of over 500 years. Together with many other institutions they form the University of Cambridge, a world-renowned institution which dominates the academic landscape of the world as well as the City of Cambridge. Many museums are directly linked to the University, included the Scott Polar Research Institute and the museums of anthropology and archaeology. The colleges themselves do not offer only marvels of architecture, but have many smaller and larger interesting sights to offer for themselves. Sights not related to the university include buildings such as churches or some smaller museums like the local Folk Museum or the art exhibitions at Kettle Yard.
Beyond that, Cambridge is a very lively city to discover. The high number of students led to a very lively pub and music scene. The multicultural face of Cambridge can be found along Mill Road, an area which was once the domain of Irish immigrants. Today, it is the place to go for Indian restaurants, Irish pubs, Turkish grills and British Asian shops. Indeed, I haven't found a reason why people should not like Cambridge!
- Pros:So much academical tradition at one place - and even without the university, still a great place!
- Cons:Good old english weather
Somewhere between specialized on bottled beers from all over the world and classic British real ale heaven, the... more travel advice
This is the place which wants to be everything to everyone in Trumpington, the place where you go with your family or... more travel advice
- See All St. Andrew's and St. Mary's Church...
- See All Pubs in Petersfield and Eastern Central...
- See All Duae Rotae
- Cambridge United F.C.
Airpunk's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just a few Bits about Cambridge"
- "City of cycles and Colleges"
- "Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown"
- "My Home Town!"
- "Oxford is a complete arse...."
- "Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England"
- "Cambridge student haven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Hotels in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 121 Reviews
- 291 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bottled Beer and Real Ale Heaven"
- Wrote a Review Bottled Beer and Real Ale Heaven in Cambridge Restaurants
- updated a Cambridge Travel Page "Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown"
- Commented on one of Airpunk's Cambridge tips
- Posted in Travel Rotterdam Forum "Re: Delfshaven - Getting there on..."
Photos in CambridgeSee All Photos (291)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 121 reviews, 291 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues