"Hastings - the 1066 beach resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Hastings by Airpunk

Hastings Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 101 photos

Following the steps of William the Conqueror

After a trip to Normandy in 1999, I decided to follow the steps of William the Conqueror again and cross the channel. Doing such a trip would mean that I would end up in Hastings. I didn't really know what to expect there, although I made my usual internet researches including VT. In my green Michelin guide, Hastings wasn't even mentioned with exception of two maps.

However, Hastings was larger than expected. It turned out to be a lively beach resort which was dominated by british and east european travellers. And of course, there were the ruins of the castle, which was William's first castle on british soil.

Facts and Figures

If you are expecting to see the battlefield of Hastings, then you are wrong here. The battle took place in a nearby small town called Battle which is easily reached by train in fifteen minutes. In Hastings, you will find the ruins of the first norman castle in England where you can learn about the castle building skills of the Normans as well as about the battle of Hastings. Most other attractions are situated at the beach, including Britain's largest beach-launched fishing fleet and some interesting fishing net huts. Family entertainment, including a small amusement park, is located at the eastern end of the beach promenade. A couple of children attractions are also to be found close to the castle ruins.

Hastings is a very old town with around 85 000 inhabitants. It is divided by the West Hill in old (between West Hill and East Hill) and new town (to the west of West Hill). In the old town, you will find a a large number of restaurants and pubs. Most of the shops, a new shopping mall, many B&Bs and the train station are in the new town. Need some more information? Check out my tips!

• Pros:Good combination of history and entertainment
  • Cons:Don't expect a white sand beach
  • In a nutshell:Highly recommended by the Duke of Normandy!
  • Last visit to Hastings: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2006

Travelogues (1)

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I didn't know that the Battle of Hastings did not actually occur in Hastings! I do know it was pretty gruesome -- especially for Harold and his men. I enjoyed these tips and photos. I will also check out the ones for Battle.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 12:56 AM

What a fount of knowledge you are. I scarcely recognised Hastings though as a child [1950s, not 1066] we often went there at Whitsun for a few days. At least the pebbles on the beach haven't changed!

• TheView's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 12:36 PM

Very nice tips on Hastings. I hope to come and visit someday myself.

• Aug 16, 2006 at 7:14 AM

An excellent page Karl with great information and unusual photos! I have learnt so much about this town that I never knew before! Prima!

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Hastings

Have you been to Hastings?

Latest Activity in Hastings