"Hastings - the 1066 beach resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Hastings by Airpunk
Hastings Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 101 photos
After a trip to Normandy in 1999, I decided to follow the steps of William the Conqueror again and cross the channel. Doing such a trip would mean that I would end up in Hastings. I didn't really know what to expect there, although I made my usual internet researches including VT. In my green Michelin guide, Hastings wasn't even mentioned with exception of two maps.
However, Hastings was larger than expected. It turned out to be a lively beach resort which was dominated by british and east european travellers. And of course, there were the ruins of the castle, which was William's first castle on british soil.
If you are expecting to see the battlefield of Hastings, then you are wrong here. The battle took place in a nearby small town called Battle which is easily reached by train in fifteen minutes. In Hastings, you will find the ruins of the first norman castle in England where you can learn about the castle building skills of the Normans as well as about the battle of Hastings. Most other attractions are situated at the beach, including Britain's largest beach-launched fishing fleet and some interesting fishing net huts. Family entertainment, including a small amusement park, is located at the eastern end of the beach promenade. A couple of children attractions are also to be found close to the castle ruins.
Hastings is a very old town with around 85 000 inhabitants. It is divided by the West Hill in old (between West Hill and East Hill) and new town (to the west of West Hill). In the old town, you will find a a large number of restaurants and pubs. Most of the shops, a new shopping mall, many B&Bs and the train station are in the new town. Need some more information? Check out my tips!
- Pros:Good combination of history and entertainment
- Cons:Don't expect a white sand beach
- In a nutshell:Highly recommended by the Duke of Normandy!
Hastings Pier was inaugurated in 1872 and was once a very popular place. Quite a lot of shops, restarants and cafés were... more travel advice
East Hill is not as exciting as West Hill as it does not offer any mentionable tourist attraction. The only attractions... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Hastings Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hastings - the 1066 beach resort"
- "A fine seaside town."
- "Wonderful Hastings"
- "We only saw the castle and had a good lunch"
- "Beware of the seagulls!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hastings
- Hotels in Hastings
- Transportation in Hastings
- Nightlife in Hastings
- Restaurants in Hastings
- Shopping in Hastings
- Warnings and Dangers in Hastings
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hastings
- 16 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Hastings?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hastings
Photos in HastingsSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos