"The huge nest of aircraft called Heathrow" Top 5 Page for this destination Heathrow by Airpunk

Heathrow Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 94 photos

Where nightmares get airborne…

In 1943, during WWII, an airfield in the west of Greater London came under control of the ministry of air. The airfield was developed into a base for the Royal Air Force and one year later the construction of a new runway began. The base was not completed before the end of WWII, so the Royal Air Force never made use of it. That was the time when a lunatic architect took control over this airfield. For some reasons that historians have not yet revealed to us, he was in posession of the original plans for King Minos’ labyrinth in Crete. After WWII, he started to make them reality with the construction of a place called “Heathrow” which is Anglo-Saxon and means “The place where nobody’s going to find the way out again”. Was it not for the BAA which placed some signs in there, there would be still some passengers around searching their check.in desk for a flight wich has taken off in 1998.

That’s the semi-true story of this maze with air traffic connection which managed to develop into Europe’s busiest airport. For some reasons I am going to explain you now, it has not managed to develop into my favourite airport. It is an airport of long distances, where you spend a lot of time getting from one point to another. It’s an airport to operate at its maximum limits. And it’s a dead place at night. Do you want to know about my reasons to say that? Well, then have a look at my Heathrow tips.

I have been to many airports in this world, surely not all and not even all larger European ones. I know that Heathrow is an old airport which owes much of its present building structure to its development during the past 60something years. But that does not give me an excuse why I should consider this airport if there’s still an alternative. See, if you have any european flight, you might as well go to Stansted or Luton. The same goes for Gatwick for intercontinental ones. You’ll lose the time you save going to the airport by some of the nasty things within the airport. Although time and distance from central London are only two reasons for the choice of your flight, these factors – contrary to common belief – do not necessarily speak in favour of Heathrow.

• In a nutshell:A good place to leave
  • Last visit to Heathrow: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2008

• Mar 2, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Excellent intro here! Wish you had a photo of how you arranged bags, a chair and a baggage trolley to make a comfy sleeping place Karl! :))

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Heathrow

Have you been to Heathrow?