"The huge nest of aircraft called Heathrow" Top 5 Page for this destination Heathrow by Airpunk
Heathrow Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 81 photos
In 1943, during WWII, an airfield in the west of Greater London came under control of the ministry of air. The airfield was developed into a base for the Royal Air Force and one year later the construction of a new runway began. The base was not completed before the end of WWII, so the Royal Air Force never made use of it. That was the time when a lunatic architect took control over this airfield. For some reasons that historians have not yet revealed to us, he was in posession of the original plans for King Minos’ labyrinth in Crete. After WWII, he started to make them reality with the construction of a place called “Heathrow” which is Anglo-Saxon and means “The place where nobody’s going to find the way out again”. Was it not for the BAA which placed some signs in there, there would be still some passengers around searching their check.in desk for a flight wich has taken off in 1998.
That’s the semi-true story of this maze with air traffic connection which managed to develop into Europe’s busiest airport. For some reasons I am going to explain you now, it has not managed to develop into my favourite airport. It is an airport of long distances, where you spend a lot of time getting from one point to another. It’s an airport to operate at its maximum limits. And it’s a dead place at night. Do you want to know about my reasons to say that? Well, then have a look at my Heathrow tips.
I have been to many airports in this world, surely not all and not even all larger European ones. I know that Heathrow is an old airport which owes much of its present building structure to its development during the past 60something years. But that does not give me an excuse why I should consider this airport if there’s still an alternative. See, if you have any european flight, you might as well go to Stansted or Luton. The same goes for Gatwick for intercontinental ones. You’ll lose the time you save going to the airport by some of the nasty things within the airport. Although time and distance from central London are only two reasons for the choice of your flight, these factors – contrary to common belief – do not necessarily speak in favour of Heathrow.
- In a nutshell:A good place to leave
Heathrow is not as easy to sleep in as for example Stansted. I looked for a nice place to sleep in Terminal 3 but... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Heathrow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The huge nest of aircraft called Heathrow"
- "Heathrow - Grey depressing ***hole."
- "Greater London Airport"
- "I Can't Believe This is Not the Busiest Airport"
- "Heathrow - Megalith of an airport"
- "The fun begins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heathrow
- Hotels in Heathrow
- Transportation in Heathrow
- Restaurants in Heathrow
- Shopping in Heathrow
- Warnings and Dangers in Heathrow
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Heathrow
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Heathrow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heathrow
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Latest Heathrow hotel reviews
- DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow
- 600 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Novotel London Heathrow
- 865 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Berkeley Park Apartments By Bridgestreet
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Hilton London Heathrow Airport
- 1332 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Radisson Edwardian International Plaza Heathrow
- 1521 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Travelodge Feltham
- 153 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Thistle London Heathrow
- 764 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Heathrow Lodge
- 1 Review & Opinion