"Medieval Lincoln" Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln by Airpunk

Lincoln Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 490 photos

Lincoln is far away from any typical tourist routes in the UK and located in one of the areas with the worst public transport connections in the UK. In the unlikely event that you find your way to Lincoln, you will be rewarded with one of England’s most beautiful cities. If you like a medieval old town with one of the most famous castles in the country and one of the finest Cathedrals in England, you will like this place. Lincoln is really worth a visit!

My plan was to do a day trip from Lincoln to Cambridge, returning in the evening. I have to admit that it barely leaves you any time to visit Castle and Cathedral as both sights require a minimum time of two hours each, more if you are interested in details. Add the medieval buildings and the alleys in the upper town on top and you will find yourself in a kind of hurry to see everything. My day trip plans found and end towards the evening when I realized that the train I missed was the last connection via Peterborough to Cambridge. All other connections I was offered (London via Nottingham) were not useful to me. That meant that I spent the next two hours looking for a hotel until I decided to spend the night in “The Lincoln”. What started as an unexpected overnight stay turned out to be one of my best hotel experiences of my life.

Lincoln was founded by the Romans as Lindum Colonia in the year 96, but the area was settled already far earlier. Back then, transportation was far better and Lincoln developed into an important trading point at the crossing of several important trading routes. The Norman Conquest brought a new era of expansion to the city. In order to strengthen his power in the area, here ordered a castle to be built and the church to be expanded into today’s Cathedral. Between 1300 (some sources say 1311) and 1549, the Cathedral was the world’s tallest building until the spire was destroyed in a thunderstorm. The dissolution of the Monasteries marked the beginning of the fall of Lincoln’s economy and influence. In the 17 th century, it was located in the frontline of Royalists and Parlamentarians, further severing the life in the city. Although the Industrial Revolution improved the situation in the city, it was again not able to cope with the changes in the 1970s and 1980s. Lincoln’s role today is the one of a trading centre in a largely rural area named Lincolnshire. Tourism and some remaining manufacturing companies are the other of the industries of importance.

• Pros:Medieval architecture
  • Cons:Train connections
  • Last visit to Lincoln: Mar 2011
  • Intro Written Jul 23, 2012

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Great Lincoln page. My in laws live in Lincoln so I am there all the time. You have some fantastic photographs of the city.

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Lincoln

Have you been to Lincoln?

Latest Activity in Lincoln