"Old Sarum - Old Salisbury" Old Sarum by Airpunk
Old Sarum Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
There has been a settling on the place of old Sarum since around 3000 BC. The hills of this area allow a view far into the surrounding lands. During the rule of the saxon it became an important town and so it was no surprise that William I. vistited this place first after having conquered England. The town was renamed Salisberie after the Earl who recieved this place.
From 1067 on, a fort was built, including a castle and a cathedral. Unfortunately, the groth of the town also sealed its fate. The new town demanded more water and space, which was not available. From 1217 on, people started to move to a place near river Avon and founded New Sarum. From 1220 on, a new cathedral was built in the new town which accelerated the process of moving. The decline of old Sarum began and in the following centuries, Old Sarum was completely given up.
Afterwards, Old Sarum became infamous as a rotten borough. It was a borough constituency, meaning that it had the right to send a deputee to the House of Commons - although it had no real voters at all! Probably, the most famous person to made it into the parliament this way was Willaim Pitt the Elder.
Not much is left from Old Sarum. The wall ring, consisting of chalk stone, is still there together with ruins of the castle and the cathedral. Most of the material was used to construct the buildings in new Sarum.
Old Sarum is now one of the most interesting attarctions of Salisbury and is kept by the english heritage. If you would like to know, what exactly you can see in Old Sarum, check out my tip. To see what you should NOT do in Old Sarum, please read my Travellogue.
Airpunk's Related Pages
Old Sarum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salisbury mark one"
- "Old Sarum"
- "Old Sarum - Old Salisbury"
- "Almost passed on this..."
- "Norman England"
- "Old (very old) Sarum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Sarum
- Transportation in Old Sarum
- Warnings and Dangers in Old Sarum
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Old Sarum
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Old Sarum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Sarum
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos