"Peterborough, Medehamstede and the Big Cathedral" Top 5 Page for this destination Peterborough by Airpunk
Peterborough Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 197 photos
Peterborough has not the reputation of being an attractive city. Parts of it originate in the city development plans of the city council to make a new town of it. That means to create living areas in order to solve housing problems in larger cities. Results of it can be seen in places like Harlow and Milton Keynes. And indeed, Peterborough is not the most beautiful among the Cathedral cities. However, it is not that scary. Despite the shopping malls, Peterborough's centre has retained some of its old character. And its cathedral is among the most beautiful in the country – something Harlow and Milton Keynes don't have at all. If you like to see the cathedral, Peterborough makes a good daytrip destination from Cambridge or any other of the nearby cities. And if you don't, there are still the multitude of shopping malls.
The cathedral is the landmark and the main attraction of the city and for many centuries, it was the city's main employer. However, it is far older than the cathedral. Settlements have been here already in the bronze age, traces of a Roman town have been found and during Anglo-Saxon times it was known as Medehamstede. It was in this time when an abbey was mentioned for the first time which would become later the Cathedral.
Peterborough remained a rather small city until the construction of the railway lines in the mid-19th century. It was located on the crossing of two main railway lines: One leading from the industrial north in Yorkshire to London, the other one was leading from Birmingham via Ely to Norwich. This position attracted industries, with brick making becoming a major economical factor. Peterborough managed to attract service-sector companies in the second half of the twentieth century, widely escaping the demise of cities in the industrial north. The low unemployment rates attracted high numbers of Eastern Europeans when the barriers fell in the early 2000s. Thus, Peterborough has one of the largest Polish communities in Britain. Unfortunately, low unemployment rates do not always mean that crime rates are low too. All in all, Peterborough has a bad reputation and is often associated with drug criminality. And being the place where the world's oldest vomit was found in 2002 does not make the thing necessarily better. In fact, it even made it onto the 18th place (of 50) in “Idler's book of Crap Towns”, although it doesn't seem that the vomit played any role in the evaluation.
- Pros:The magnificent Cathedral
- Cons:Little else to see and do
- In a nutshell:Better than its reputation
Here, we have another Wetherspoon pub: Cheap and cheerful, conveniently located and with some lack of own character. The... more travel advice
Peterborough is a major train hub and well connected with many parts of the country. This feature it shares with few... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Peterborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dedicated to the King of Peterborough"
- "WELL, WHAT CAN I SAY, IT`S HOME"
- "Peterborough: Home Away from Home"
- "Peterborough, Medehamstede and the Big Cathedral"
- "Welcome to Peterborough"
- "Interesting cathedral........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peterborough
- Hotels in Peterborough
- Transportation in Peterborough
- Nightlife in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Shopping in Peterborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Peterborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peterborough
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Peterborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peterborough
- Commented on one of Airpunk's Peterborough travel pages
- Wrote a Review A Wetherspoon's in Peterborough in Peterborough Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Wetherspoon's in Peterborough"
- created a Peterborough Travel Page "Peterborough, Medehamstede and the Big Cathedral"
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Best City to Stay in Germany..."
Photos in PeterboroughSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos