"Something WICKed this way comes" Wick by Airpunk

Wick Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 111 photos

It would be too simple to say that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. If you think that Rotterdam is the most beautiful city in the Netherlands, then you might like Wick too. If your taste follows more the mainstream, there are chances that you will not like Wick. However, it you are open for something wicked, you may find that this place enjoys its own form of beauty. When I look back to my 2010 Highlands trip, Wick is among the places I enjoyed the most.

Why this love for Wick?

In 2008, a family of Ghanaian immigrants in Antigua helped me to find my way back home. I will never forget them, but I will also never forget the place where I met them: Willikies. In 2010, I arrived in Wick on a rainy day, just to find out that I lost my printout from the hotel with the map on it. Here I was, knowing that the reception from my own guesthouse would close with half an hour and no idea where my hotel was. The first thing I saw was Mackey’s hotel. Not my guesthouse, but the only place in vincinity which seemed to be open. And there I was in the reception of Mackey’s hotel, completely soaked and expecting to be kicked out for ruining the floor and asking for the way to a competing house. Instead, a gentleman in his fifties turned up at the reception to help me. He showed me the way to my hotel (the Bank Guesthouse), told me that the people there are really lovely and offered me to walk me there in case I would not find it. This kindness was my first impression of Wick.
That does not mean that the people in my guesthouse weren’t able to top it. They were as friendly as described by the gentleman of the hotel and gave my stay in wick a warm and welcoming touch. William and Angela, you were among the greatest hosts I’ve ever met in all my years of travelling through Europe! It seems that I have arrived in a town full of friendly people.

What to do in Wick?

Wick often serves as a stop for the way to John O’Groats. But if you walk around Wick with open eyes or have a taste for something special, then you will have more to see in wick than in many other cities. Most interesting spots are located in Pulteneytown, a settlement designed to house workers and their families in the time of the industrial revolution. Today, Pulteneytown is a shadow of Wick’s glorious past as the world’s herring fishing capital. Buildings range from derelict to completely restored. It is this place where Wick’s award-winning heritage museum as well as a distillery with visitor centre are located. If this is the stuff you like, you can easily spend a whole day in Pulteneytown. Other mentionable spots are the town centre, the harbour and the ruins of old Wick castle. Please check out my tips and travelogue, especially for more details about Pulteneytown.

What is Wick

Today's Wick is a town which has never recovered from the fall of the fishing industries as well as from many changes it did not cope with dating back to the industrial revolution. It has almost 8 000 inhabitants, which makes a regional hub, but not more. As I said, people use it as a gateway to John O'Groats or other places in far northeastern Scotland. Outside of the tourist season, it is a sleepy town and many places are even closed. For people with a certain taste or interest, this place is a gem. And one blessed with friendly people too...

• Pros:Interesting little town with lovely people
  • Cons:Not a place for everyone's taste
  • In a nutshell:Sleepy town with glorious past
  • Last visit to Wick: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2014

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Fabulous start. I was in Wick in the 1990's as well. Of course I also visited John 'O' Groats and Thurso.

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Wick