"Cork - The Rebel City" Top 5 Page for this destination Cork by Airpunk

Cork Travel Guide: 620 reviews and 1,585 photos

If you want to enjoy Irish city life but do not want to be among the masses of tourists in Dublin, that's the page where you should go to. With only 120 000 inhabitants, Cork does no rank high on lists of European cities – neither does it on most tourist's wishlist. Still, it is Ireland's second largest city and can easily compete with Dublin in terms of pub scene and tourist atractions.

OK, Cork itself does no have as many tourist atractions as the Irish capital, but add neighbouring Blarney as well as Cobh (Cork's harbour town formerly known as „Cove of Cork“) and we are talking on the same level again. The former has one of Ireland's most famous castle ruins, the latter stands out with exhibitions and tours related to the Titanic, the Lusitania and Irish emigration. Cork itself has the former gaol, Victorian architecture, several museums and enough pubs to keep you busy for several evenings.

My four day stay in Cork included Blarney and Cork day trips together with St. Patrick's Day – and I even felt that four days weren't enough. From the very first minute, I felt welcome in Cork and the city was very easy to navigate. Despite the slightly higher prices in Ireland compared to the rest of the Eurozone, I can't think of any reason why not to visit Cork.

Cork was founded around a monastery in the 6h century and was developed into a trading port by the Vikings in the early 900s. After the Norman invasion, Cork was developed into one of the most inportant cities on the island. During the War of Roses, Cork supported the Yorkist cause and even after Henry Tudor conquered the throne, it suppored the pretender Perkin Warbeck. From that time on, Cork became known as the rebel city and even today many of Cork's citizens gladly adopt his attitude. In the 19th century, Cork's prison began to fill up due to increased poverty-related crime and it became together with its harbour outpost Cobh. Later, Cork took over its rebel role again when it became a stonghold of the anty-treaty forces in the Irish Civil War of 1922/1923. Today, it is a vivid town with a young population.

• Last visit to Cork: Mar 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Karl, very comprehensive page about Cork here. Your tips bring back memories of my time in the city in 2001, which was before digital photography, at least for me. Of course I also went on side trips to Cobh and Blarney. Another popular day trip, which you obviously missed, is to Kinsale. By the way: You don't mention if you kissed the Blarney stone (I didn't). Interesting to see that you took two photos of your bathroom, but noone of the room itsself.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
      Jul 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for cisiting my Cork page Holger. Indeed, I missed Kinsale. Unfortunately, I has no time to cram another day trip in between, though I would have loved to spend more time in Cork and surroundings. Have to check for a picture of my room, I think there is one somewhere. Oh yes, I kissed the Blarney stone - though I have to wait for the effects to set in. I wanted to save that part for a future Blarney site :)

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Cork