"Barcelona - Catalonia's world-class capital" Barcelona by Airpunk
Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,909 reviews and 23,308 photos
Barcelona is one of the most popular destinations in Europe and one of the easiest to get to. Its bar and nightlife scene, its diverse sights and the mild climate are Barcelona's secrets, together with being the second largest city in Spain and the largest in Catalonia. While Madrid is the capital of Spain, Barcelona is one of the capitals of the world. But even if you don't belong to the party people, you could enjoy your time in Barcelona. It is also a capital of art and architecture, it has a beautiful medieval quarter and a long beach promenade. Barcelona has something special for everyone and you could pick any sight or activity according to your taste. Miró and Gaudí are only two of the most famous artists who have left their footprint of art in Barcelona. And not only Gaudí stands for modern architecture in Barcelona. Few cities in Europea can compete with the interesting variety of Buildings in Barcelona ? probably it's the only serious competitor for Rotterdam. Two days are just enough to get an overview, to see and do the most important things I would recommend at least three days.
When I was there with a friend in March 2009, we spent most of the time walking and enjoying the sights in the street. But we also managed to walk from the Columbus Monument at the end of the Ramblas up to the Tibidabo and back. Still today, we just have to mention the word ?Tibidabo? to remember this day (as well as my friend's pain in the knee or the cold I caught on that day).
Barcelona's year of founding is often said to be 218 B.C. when Hannibal Barkas conquered this area. The name Barcelona is said to have its origin in Hannibal's family name. However, settlements are known since the stone age and information from that time is pretty scarce. Barcelona was part of the Roman Empire for several centuries until the breakdown of the Empire in the 5th century. From then on, the Visigoths took over until the Moorish invasion of the 8th century. Barcelona was captured by the Moors in 717. In 801, the region was conquered back under the Carolingians and through marriage, it became part of Aragon, one of the predecessor states of modern Spain, in 1137.From then on, Barcelona was part of the region of Catalonia which enjoyed sometimes more, sometimes less autonomy under the Spanish Crown. Today, Barcelona is the 11th largest city in the European Union, home of many companies and universities and a popular city to live and visit. Especially the flourishing Spanish tourism industry with all the nearby holiday resorts are contributing to the wealth of Catalonia and its capital. And of course, the Olympic Games of 1992 (together with a song by Freddy Mercury and Montserrat Caballé) drew the world's attention to this beautiful, lively city.
- Pros:Lifely city, top league of the world
- Cons:A little too touristy sometimes
- In a nutshell:BARCELOOOOOONA!!!! (1992)
With a maritime heritage, Barcelona can?t miss it to have a monument dedicated to one of the most famous men in Spanish... more travel advice
Barcelona's Old Town, the Gothic quarter, sdtands in contrast with the bustling streets in the rest of the city. This... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "The capital of County of Barcelona"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 14 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Barcelona - Catalonia's world-class capital"
- Posted in Travel Rotterdam Forum "Re: Delfshaven - Getting there on..."
- Wrote a Review Christopher Columbis Monument about Mirador De Colom - Columbus Monument in Barcelona Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christopher Columbis Monument"
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 121 reviews, 291 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues