"Tampere - Industry, Students and Ryanair" Tampere by Airpunk
Tampere Travel Guide: 608 reviews and 1,132 photos
I do not know, how many people outside Finland would name Tampere as a popular destination for a weekend city trip. Let’s go one step further: How many people do know that there is a city named Tampere in the country of Finland? Some years ago, I would guess that the numbers for both were incredibely high. Now, the European continent has become smaller. Students to exchange years in higher numbers than ever before and an Irish low-cost airline named Ryanair has connected the small airport with a dozen of European cities. Beyond that, people may heard that Tampere is nicknamed the „Manchester of Finland“ or „Manchester of the North“. A popular Finnish nickname is also „Manse“. But I do not know, if people really want to see a Manchester of a foreign country. So, let’s build up on the increasing number of low-cost flights and the returning exchange students to promote a city which deserves more appreciation. And of course, I will do my part to make you like Tampere and Finland if you do not like them already.
Today, Tampere is a lifely mid-sized city. The high number of students in the population have led to a high number of pubs and have created a scene which can compete with those of far larger cities. Although the city has no sights of world class, many of them are of particular interest. The Lenin Museum and the Moomin Valley are probably the best known to mention. The exhibition center Vapriikki is not only the museum for local history, but often has good temporary exhibitions. And if pubs and museums aren’t good enough for you, there’s always the option in Finland to enjoy nature. Even the former industrial city of Tampere has a lot to offer with ist location between two large lakes. For a more basic insight into Tampere's life, check out the supermarket at Stockmann's (see shopping tips) and compare the contrast with Kauppahalli. With over 200 000 inhabitants, Tampere is Finland’s third largest city and the largest outside the Helsinki metropolitan area.
- Pros:Easy to get to (cheap flights!), wonderful people, pub scene, Industrial monuments
- Cons:Except the typical Finnish cons (prices and temperature), I didn't find any
- In a nutshell:Finland's number two can easily compete with number one
This avenue at the west of Tampere’s city centre is a recreational area. Sometimes it is even referred to as a large,... more travel advice
You will probably not avoid seeing the Tammerkoski when you visit Tampere. However, you can enjoy the visit a little... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Tampere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tampere,city of shy people.."
- "Tampere - my favorite city in Finland"
- "Tampere - Industry, Students and Ryanair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tampere
- Hotels in Tampere
- Transportation in Tampere
- Nightlife in Tampere
- Restaurants in Tampere
- Shopping in Tampere
- Warnings and Dangers in Tampere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tampere
- 37 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Tampere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tampere
Photos in TampereSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos