"Good old little Tønder" Tønder by Airpunk
Tønder Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 47 photos
Small Danish town, 8000 inhabitants, close to the German border - sounds quite boring, but Tønder makes a good day trip destination for people from Southern Denmark or Northern Germany. Hamburg-Tønder by regional train for example is a trip of three hours by regional train - even less, if you use the fast trains or drive by car. But what's the reason to go to Tønder?
Under Hanseatic law, Tønder received city rights in 1243, which makes it the oldest city in Denmark. But it was already mentioned in a document from Flensburg as early as 1017. It was once an important trade port when the river Vidå was still navigable. Although Tønder became victim to the bubonic plague and floods in the 16th and 17th century, it was also this time when the city prospered due to its trade connections. Buildings from this era are characteristic for Tønder's old town. Unfortunately, the reinforcement of the coasts in form of dykes caused the Vidå to sand dow in the 17th century so that Tønder lost its importance. An intent to regain former prosperity with a bobbin lace industry was doomed to fail on a long term. The renaissance castle went the same way as the city did. It was demolished in 1750, only the former guards' building was left. They served for a long time as a prison and a part of today's Tønder museum.
Together with the 16th century church, the old town and the museum are the main sights in Tønder. If you like old buildings and walking trough a pitturesque old town, Tønder might be the right thing for you. Outside of Tønder, you will find yourself quickly in a rural area where hiking and walking are options for a sunny day. And neighbouring town Møgeltønder has a royal castle where the gardens are open for visitors during summer time (though not the castle itself).
- Pros:Good day trip destination
- Cons:Just too small to stay for more than a day
The Vidå runs along the southern side of the old town and was once essential to the trade of Tønder. When the estuary of... more travel advice
Tønder lies on the train line between Niebüll and Esbjerg and is served around a dozen times per day in each direction.... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Tønder Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A lovely old commercial town."
- "Tønder - a pleasant old market town"
- "Good old little Tønder"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tønder
- Hotels in Tønder
- Transportation in Tønder
- Nightlife in Tønder
- Restaurants in Tønder
- Shopping in Tønder
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tønder
- 9 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Tønder?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tønder
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos