"Ancona - daytrip to an important harbour town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona by Airpunk

Ancona Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 367 photos

Ancona was my first daytrip I made during my 2006 trip to Italy. An old town built on two hills, an ancient port and buildings from different centuries were enough for me to chose Ancona. The weather was fine and was to stay so during my whole Italy trip. Time to walk up and down the hills and explore the old town of Ancona. Styles and ages mix into each other while I follow the touristical path. Like always on a daytrip, a day is not enough to discover all the small things a town like Ancona has to offer. But surely, I can say that I have seen a lot of interesting places – in a part of Italy where most foreign tourists will just drive through.

Ancona is a town with around 100 000 inhabitants and a history dating back to the 4th century BC. It began its life as a greek city, founded by people from Syracuse (have a look at the cathedral which is dedicated to Saint Judas Cyriacus). It became part of the roman empire and later, it belonged to other kingdoms and states, inclduing the Papal State. Traces from all these states are still found in Ancona’s old town. From statues and arches dedicated to roman emperors to churches and more statues dedicated to popes. Since ever, Ancona lived from the sea trade. Its harbour was the gateway to Dalmatia and other countries of the eastern adriatic coast. More details about the harbour and specific buildings can be found by reading my Ancona tips.

• Last visit to Ancona: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2007

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

And I am the second person to say that your italian pages are amazing!!!

• Jan 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM

These pages are so good...how come I am always the first to leave a comment?? Beautiful photos and great info here Karl ( I have a photo of a statue of Emporor Trajan too... but taken in London!)

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Ancona