"Ancona - daytrip to an important harbour town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona by Airpunk
Ancona Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 367 photos
Ancona was my first daytrip I made during my 2006 trip to Italy. An old town built on two hills, an ancient port and buildings from different centuries were enough for me to chose Ancona. The weather was fine and was to stay so during my whole Italy trip. Time to walk up and down the hills and explore the old town of Ancona. Styles and ages mix into each other while I follow the touristical path. Like always on a daytrip, a day is not enough to discover all the small things a town like Ancona has to offer. But surely, I can say that I have seen a lot of interesting places – in a part of Italy where most foreign tourists will just drive through.
Ancona is a town with around 100 000 inhabitants and a history dating back to the 4th century BC. It began its life as a greek city, founded by people from Syracuse (have a look at the cathedral which is dedicated to Saint Judas Cyriacus). It became part of the roman empire and later, it belonged to other kingdoms and states, inclduing the Papal State. Traces from all these states are still found in Ancona’s old town. From statues and arches dedicated to roman emperors to churches and more statues dedicated to popes. Since ever, Ancona lived from the sea trade. Its harbour was the gateway to Dalmatia and other countries of the eastern adriatic coast. More details about the harbour and specific buildings can be found by reading my Ancona tips.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t well prepared for Ancona. That gives me the effect of surprise sometimes, but leaves me... more travel advice
In the year 115, this arch in honour of Roman Emperor Trajan was finished. The triumphal arch is one of many monuments... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Ancona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A happy accident"
- "Ancona - Forgotten city on the Adriatic"
- "Ancona, a door open on the Adriatic"
- "Ancona - daytrip to an important harbour town"
- "Ancona - back in the base..."
- "FinElina's new Ancona Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ancona
- Hotels in Ancona
- Transportation in Ancona
- Nightlife in Ancona
- Restaurants in Ancona
- Shopping in Ancona
- Warnings and Dangers in Ancona
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ancona
- 11 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Ancona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ancona
Photos in AnconaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Latest Ancona hotel reviews