"Rimini - Attention: History awaits you!" Rimini by Airpunk

Rimini Travel Guide: 260 reviews and 594 photos

Rimini is associated with beach partys, sunshine and a large tourism industry. It is a place popular with locals as well as people from all over Europe. The reasons I chose Rimni as a destination has almost nothing to do with that. When travelling on my own, I prefer to do the cultural stuff and walk a lot. So, this Rimini page focuses on all the things the average Rimini tourists does not see. Little do people know about the historical center :) (It is to the WEST of the central station, AWAY from the beach for those who haven't seen it...). Fortunately, many other VTers are thinking also in this or a similar way, so that my page is not that remarkable..

The city was an important town of trade under the rule of the Malatesta family in the 13th century. Many buildings from this era are still standing, unfortunately, many structures are not well preserved. This is something you will see in other nearby cities - maybe it's just because of the abundance of history this region has.

What to do and what to see

Three routes, each one focusing on a single epoch of history, are marked in the city center and are easy to follow. The boards standing close to the sights will give you some background information. An aviation museum is located to to the west of the city - the idea to place such a museum on a hill was surely not the best and results in a small variety of aircraft. Italia in miniatura follows the concept of Den Haag's Madurodam, showing famous italian sights in a scale of 1:25 and 1:50. Rimini is also a good point to stay and start daytrips throughout the region, for example to the old city of Ravenna or the Monte Titano in San Marino. Want to get more details? Explore my tips!

• Pros:So much to see in this region
  • Cons:It must be horrible in summer!
  • Last visit to Rimini: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2006

Travelogues (1)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM

I went to Rimini again, but I didn't book at pension Estrellita as I did a couple of years ago. I found a better accomodation. Ciao!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Great tips on the Roman architecture - I so admire them for the durability of their engineering works! Nice to get a glimpse of Italy in the 'off-season' too. Personally, I like the May/June and Sept/Oct time frames to get good weather & avoid the crowds.

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Rimini