"Metz - A small touch of Germany in France" Metz by Airpunk
Metz Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 584 photos
Metz is located in an area where France is as boring as the correspondent area in neighbouring Germany. Still, you can enjoy Metz as a daytrip destination with a beautiful old city to discover. Maybe you will even find out that Metz is not boring at all. There is a lot to see, if you are interested in architecture. The park and the charme of the streets in the old town are attracting more and more visitors as well.
Anyway, I enjoyed my daytrip to Metz and would recommend it to anyone having the chance to do the same.
Metz is one of the oldest European cities. Permanent settlements have been there as early as pre-Roman times. For centuries, it was an independent city within the Holy Roman Empire and a focus point for the church with many churches and monasteries. In 1552, it became part of the French Empire. The famous architect Vauban who designed several fortresses for Louis XIV als changed the face of the city. Metz became a fortress and was used as a military base for military operations in the East of France. The short German period from 1871 to 1918 and the vicinity to Germany put the city under German influence, although few remains of it are seen today (most notably architecture at the Quartier de la Gare - around the main train station). Today, the city is gaining importance due to its vicinity to Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany as well as through its growing University.
During the Middle Ages, the city of Metz built a large number of structures in order to defend the city. The medieval... more travel advice
Here we have a typical Café / Bar in the French style where you meet friends for a coffee, a beer or a wine and chat for... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Metz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M E T Z"
- "Opera and Theater in Metz"
- "Honey-coloured stone, river and Romans........"
- "Metz: One of the Crossroads of History"
- "bmiller39's new Verdun Page"
- "A pearl of Lorraine - Metz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Metz
- Hotels in Metz
- Transportation in Metz
- Nightlife in Metz
- Restaurants in Metz
- Shopping in Metz
- Warnings and Dangers in Metz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Metz
- 25 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Metz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Metz
Photos in MetzSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 121 reviews, 291 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues