"Wolfenbuettel - Half-timbered buildings and more" Wolfenbüttel by Airpunk
Wolfenbüttel Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 187 photos
Wolfenbuettel is not exactly New York and if you depend on public transport, it's not really conveniently located. However, if you are located somewhere around Hannover, Braunschweig and Wolfsburg, it makes a good day trip destination. With a high concentration of half-timbered buildings, a castle and three old churches it offers enough for a day. The river Oker flows in form of little canals through the city which creates a picturesque atmosphere together with the half-timbered buildings. A part is even called "Klein Venedig" - Little Venice. Yes, and some people may know Wolfenbuettel because of a locally produced liquor - Jaegermeister.
The city was probably founded in the 10th century close to a ford at the river Oker. Wolfenbuettel gained fame from 1238 when the Dukes of Brunswick decided to build a fortress at this place. Tired of conflicts with the Brunswick population, the Ducal Family decided to move to Wolfenbuettel in 1438. The court attracted important figures like Leibniz and Lessing and became one of the most important Dukedoms in Germany. When the Duke decided to move back to Braunschweig in 1753, the decline of Wolfenbuettel set in. Today, it is little more than a beautiful mid-sized regional town.
The Neoromanesque church from 1891 is the main Catholic church in Wolfenbuettel. It was the first Catholic church in... more travel advice
The Baroque pink building was once the Arsenal (Zeughaus) of the city and now houses a part of the city library's... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Wolfenbüttel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wolfenbüttel - Intact Old Residence Town"
- "Wonderful Wolfenbuettel"
- "Wolfenbuettel - Half-timbered buildings and more"
- "A most underrated town"
- "A Wombat In Wolfenbüttel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wolfenbüttel
- Transportation in Wolfenbüttel
- Restaurants in Wolfenbüttel
- Shopping in Wolfenbüttel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wolfenbüttel
- 8 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Wolfenbüttel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wolfenbüttel
Photos in WolfenbüttelSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Riga Intro, 51 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues