"Al-Munastir - the Bourgiba city" Gouvernorat de Monastir by Airpunk
Gouvernorat de Monastir Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 425 photos
In early 1999, I spent a week in Tunisia with a couple of friends. Our hotel was situated somewhere between Sousse and Monastir near the village of Saline. So a daytrip to Monastir became mandatory. For me, it was a typical medium-sized Tunisian city (although I don't know a lot of them...) with many governmental buildings. The most important and impressive monument is the mausoleum of Bourgiba, but you also should visit the Ribat and the markets (souks). It was a really beautiful city, but unfortunately, I didn't feel like I was on holidays. Many people came towards us speaking german and even as I know that they just want to be friendly and make business, I experienced that as very annoying. Anyway, I had a very nice day and if you plan to go to Monastir, you shouldn't be scared off.
Monastir is located about 20 kms south of Sousse and around 160 kms south of Tunis. It has around 50 000 inhabitants. Its airport is one of the most important in the country.
- Pros:Good for a daytrip
- Cons:Too many tourists
It is forbidden to make pictures on the apron of the airport in Monastir, so please avoid taking pictures of your... more travel advice
The Bourgiba Mosque was built in the same year (1963) as the mausoleum. It is situated in a less busy area in the city... more travel advice
Airpunk's Related Pages
Gouvernorat de Monastir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Al-Munastir - the Bourgiba city"
- "Monastir, the way I see it....."
- "Gouvernorat de Monastir"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Hotels in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Transportation in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Nightlife in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Restaurants in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Shopping in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Warnings and Dangers in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Gouvernorat de Monastir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gouvernorat de Monastir
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Best City to Stay in Germany..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Al-Munastir - the Bourgiba city"
- Wrote a Review Be careful when taking pictures at the airport in Gouvernorat de Monastir Warnings and Dangers
- created a Gouvernorat de Monastir Travel Page "Al-Munastir - the Bourgiba city"
Photos in Gouvernorat de MonastirSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 102 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 69 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 94 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 77 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 51 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 44 reviews, 145 photos
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 33 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 108 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top Gouvernorat de Monastir hotels
- Monastir Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 344 Photos