"Al-Munastir - the Bourgiba city" Gouvernorat de Monastir by Airpunk

Gouvernorat de Monastir Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 425 photos

A day in Monastir

In early 1999, I spent a week in Tunisia with a couple of friends. Our hotel was situated somewhere between Sousse and Monastir near the village of Saline. So a daytrip to Monastir became mandatory. For me, it was a typical medium-sized Tunisian city (although I don't know a lot of them...) with many governmental buildings. The most important and impressive monument is the mausoleum of Bourgiba, but you also should visit the Ribat and the markets (souks). It was a really beautiful city, but unfortunately, I didn't feel like I was on holidays. Many people came towards us speaking german and even as I know that they just want to be friendly and make business, I experienced that as very annoying. Anyway, I had a very nice day and if you plan to go to Monastir, you shouldn't be scared off.

Facts and figures

Monastir is located about 20 kms south of Sousse and around 160 kms south of Tunis. It has around 50 000 inhabitants. Its airport is one of the most important in the country.

• Pros:Good for a daytrip
  • Cons:Too many tourists
  • Last visit to Gouvernorat de Monastir: Apr 1999
  • Intro Written Sep 21, 2005

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 4:45 PM

Thanks for the informative tips. well done.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 1:46 PM

Nice pics + tips. I started hitching by car or truck when it was the mode of transport & I saw people on the Paris exit roads enroute to Kabul and India by thumb.Tim .. .·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*¨`*

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Badges & Stats in Gouvernorat de Monastir

Have you been to Gouvernorat de Monastir?