"KERAVA - small town feelings" Kerava by Zirpsis
Kerava Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 99 photos
Events and happenings
February Music: classical music concerts in co-operation with Kerava ev.lut. church
Kerava Jazz: an international festival arranged by Kerava Jazz Society always in early June.
Old Times Fair Market and Kerava Day: join the celebration at the Heikkilanmaki museum area in mid-June. Everybody should dress up in early 20th century style because best costumes will be chosen and awarded. Music and folk dancing performances. Free admission to the museum.
Annual Garlic Festival: always on a Saturday in mid August, the city center is crowded by friends of garlic. You can taste garlic beer and garlic ice-cream etc and buy all sorts of garlic specialities. Enjoy the allium sativum atmosphere and free music and other shows at Aurinkomaki (= sun hill) open air theatre.
Annual Circus Fair: Kerava hosts a traditional Circus Fair every year in mid September. Then, the town center is filled with carousels and other fairground stuff. Also free outdoor circus performances. Great fun for the whole family organized by a local sports society Keravan Urheilijat. The profits coming from this event are used to support youth sporting activities at Kerava.
Kerava is a fast growing town with about 33'000 inhabitants. New buildings are sprouting like mushrooms in the rain each year. One of the more beautiful ones, in my eyes, is the City Library: modern architecture combining warm red brick, glass and light wood. Here you have the possibility to use computers for free with free access to the Internet. This building was opened 2003 and it's located next to a man-made pond (a memorial of J.K.Paasikivi, former President of Finland in the front.)
A new City Market shopping mall was opened in the city centre in November 2007. Many new blocks of flats and housing areas are rising all over the town simultaneously.
More info can be found at www.kerava.fi
One of Finland's oldest remaining wooden railway station buildings still in it's original use, this building was built 1878 and was fully restored 2001. The restoration work included lifting the building up and digging underneath to make new foundations. It was funny to see men working down in the pit with this big building on stilts on top of them. When the building was lowerered back to its place, people noticed that the little tower on top was slightly tilted. The new foundations were too straight!
Also Kerava Manor house dates back to the 19th century, and it's said to be HAUNTED!! Other old buildings with lots of 19th and early 20th century household utensils and farmhouse paraphernalia can be seen at the Heikkilanmaki countryside museum.
- Pros:Small town 30 km north of Helsinki. A fast growing but yet peaceful and friendly place to live in and with good transportation connections by train and by air (located near Helsinki-Vantaa airport) See more info at http://www.kerava.fi/home_eng.asp
- Cons:Nothing of interest for tourists... But what's really annoying is the not so infrequent noise from aeroplanes
- In a nutshell:A satellite town of Helsinki
With a total area of 7,5 ha comprising the back woods of the Kerava manor and the near fields all the way to the river,... more travel advice
If you walk to the east side of the railway tracks and near Kerava church, you'll see a nice looking wooden house. This... more travel advice
- See All Clothes, electronics and other stuff
- See All Ice skating in the parks
- See All Nepalese specialities
Zirpsis' Related Pages
Kerava Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KERAVA - small town feelings"
- "Vema's Kerava page"
- "Kerava - the gray and violet town"
- "A visit to the Kerava Art Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kerava
- Transportation in Kerava
- Restaurants in Kerava
- Shopping in Kerava
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kerava
- 39 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kerava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerava
Photos in KeravaSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Kerava Intro, 39 reviews, 86 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 21 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponta Delgada Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos
- Tuusula Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuopio Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos
- Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto de la Cruz Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos