"Stop by in Datong on your way from Beijing to Xian" Top 5 Page for this destination Datong by tremendopunto

Datong Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 124 photos

Why is Datong worth a visit?

Datong is certainly undervalued and most people pass by without knowing what they just missed!

It is right on the way between Beijing and Xian. By train it takes about 6 hours to get there from Beijing and it costs about 46 Yuan for Hard Seat. The train ticket to Xian was about 130 Yuan for Hard Sleeper.

The highlight are the Yungang Caves, a world heritage with more than 50.000 buddha statues (formerly more than 100.000!!!) from a few centimeters to more than 17 meters of height. The place was built in the days when China adopted the Buddhism from India. You can see the change from sharp cut faces with long noses and sari clothes of the oldest statues to round faces with short noses, Chinese clothes and typical eyes of the newest statues in these caves. It is very close to the city, about 20 minutes by bus.

Here is a short clip of my trip to the Caves

In the city center I also visited the Shanhua temple, which I enjoyed very much. It is also worth a short visit.

But there is much more to see:
When you get to Datong you have to see the Hanging Monastery(Xuankong Si) . I love it, but you need one day for a visit because it is about 70 km outside of Datong. But it´s awesome! Like a little bird nest hanging on the cliffs.
On the way back it started to snow heavily and there are difficult climbs and winding roads through the mountains - the minibus was overloaded with 22 , like always in China, instead of 10 people for which the bus was originally built. Some cars were already stuck or were in the ditches - but for Gods sake, our driver had some snow chains which saved the day!

Here is a short trailer of my visit to the Hanging Monastery with my friend Omed.

All these places are great, but Datong, the city itself has a big coal industry. Even though I could not find it in official statistics of air pollution, I am sure it is the winner. The whole city is black because of coal dust. So, the historical sights are fascinating, but as soon as you are done with that, leave the city!

• Intro Updated Sep 21, 2007

• Aug 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Can you tell me if it possible to see the Yungang Caves and the Hanging Monastery in 8 hours. I am going to be in Datong for 8 hours. I arrive 7AM and eturning train is at 4PM. What is CIT? Is it possible to hire a private car to do both sites? Thanks

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2006 at 8:48 PM

Yeah...the China bug bit me long time ago LOL. I love your pages...I didn't know that the hanging monastery that interest me so much is in Datong. Thanks for sharing your China adventures!

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2005 at 2:12 AM

wow these pics are amazing...

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM

It is now 17 years since i have visited Daotng. Some thing don't change: the air pollution for example.

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2005 at 7:42 PM

Ive always wanted to see the Hanging Temple from the first time I came to China (1998)..didnt make it then, and havent been since..one day one day...

tremendopunto

“"In the long run we are all dead" John Maynard Keynes”

Badges & Stats in Datong