"Ridgway - my home for half a year!" Ridgway by tremendopunto
Ridgway Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 53 photos
Ridgway is a laid-back small town in the middle of Colorado. I was lucky to live a beautiful half year with the great Coulter family here in 1994 - Thank you sooo much, Larry, Jeanne, Kelly, Tate, Chad and Jake for the beautiful time you gave me!!!
So it is a long time ago and the pics are from the pre-digital age.
Well, my first thought when I heard I would stay in Ridgway was - where is it? I couldnt find it on the map ;-) Why not LA or NY?
So what is Ridgway all about?
It turned out to be a fantastic place to be with the nicest guest-family I could imagine!
Ridgway is right in the Rockies on the road between Montrose and Durango. It offers an amazing mountainside with Mt.Sneffels and a rich wildlife full of Deer and Elk, which make it a popular hunting area. Combined with the neighbouring places like Ouray you find sparkling waterfalls, soothing natural springs (the hot springs are especially nice during snowfall!!!!), charming victorian architecture, more than 500 miles of trails for hikers, bikers and 4-wheel-drivers.....I wasnt into road cycling during this time, but if I ever get there again, Ill take my race cycle with me to try of these challenging montain passes - they are made for cycling!
Plus the Ridgway reservoir offers great fishing and boating.
In winter you have plenty opportunities for cross country skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling and so on.
It is surrounded by ski resorts like Telluride (nordic, alpine and telemark skiing) and national parks like the Uncompahgre National Forest. There must be a reason if people like Ralph Lauren and others choose this area for their holiday lodges.......
Another thing Ridgway is proud of is the setting for John Waynes "The True Grit". For example the hanging scene takes place right in the town park. Most of the buildings you see in the movie are real and can still be seen in Ridgway. There is a cafe named after the movie, too ;-)
The second big thing in Ridgway during my time was Highschool basketball. Coach Hill (a living legend over here) formed an extraordinary team that went for the back-to-back class 1A state champions - UNBEATEN in two years from 1994 to 1995. You could see it everywhere: Demon pride! Go Demons Go!!!
Even the referees where amazed by the huge variety of tactics after the game - saying, I never thought to see the "weave" again.... Do you know the movie "Hoosiers" - Rigway was a cinderella story just like that, except we didnt play with chucks anymore ;-)
- Pros:Amazing countryside, wildlife, warmhearted people, John Wayne, Demon Pride,.....
- Cons:Small town life - but that offers a special charme, too!
- In a nutshell:I had the best time during my half year stay in Ridgway!
I Tell-u-ride away: this is a great mountain hideaway and a fantastic ski resort for nordic, alpine and telemark skiing... more travel advice
This is a famous steam powered narrow gauge railway connecting Silverton with Durango. These 45 miles through... more travel advice
tremendopunto's Related Pages
Ridgway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ridgway - my home for half a year!"
- "Basaic Ridgway Page"
- "My Roots"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ridgway
- 13 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Ridgway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ridgway
Photos in RidgwaySee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 67 reviews, 269 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 32 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 45 reviews, 120 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 38 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 34 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 21 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Borobudur Intro, 14 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues