"BHUTAN - the last true illusion of the Himalaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan by tremendopunto
Bhutan Travel Guide: 233 reviews and 897 photos
Bhutan is the place that comes closest to my illusion about the Himalaya. This country seems to offer the untouched, true culture which has not yet been influenced (spoiled or ruined) by masstourism.....
This country is very traditional and conservative, trying to protect its cultural roots from foreign influences. That does not mean that the country stands still or is way back in time. No, but they try a soft modernization, avoiding mistakes of other regions (like Thamel;-)....
It is the last Kingdom of the Himalaya states, though the council of ministers gets elected by the people and for 2008 the King announced to put the power into the hand of the people by complete elections.
Here is a very very short summary as a sneak preview short summary clip
Now I guess I do have to explain a little bit about this pic. No, it is no cheap porn graffitti! It is a housewall decoration you can find everywhere in Bhutan - it is part of the religious belief! A Bhutanese explained it to me like this (if I got him right - I have to read some about it):
One scholar of Buddha went into a little different direction, emphasizing that through sex you find the enlightment! So he slept with many women to free their souls..... Sounds easier than meditation, doesnt it :-) Ok, no jokes about that.
That is what Ive been told. I have to check on that.
- Pros:The true, untouched Himalaya, youll find that nowhere else anymore!
- Cons:Quite expensive dayrates! But that is the price of preserving this beautiful country and its culture!
- In a nutshell:Bhutan is the only place that fullfills my Illusions of the Himalaya. Nowhere else can you find that anymore!
My visit was during the off-season, so I was the only "foreign soul" in my hotel at this time. But at one night, there... more travel advice
tremendopunto's Related Pages
Bhutan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Falling in love with a country"
- "BHUTAN - the last true illusion of the Himalaya"
- "Land of the Thunder Dragon"
- "Into the Last Himalayan Buddhist Kingdom"
- "Another world"
- "A TRIP TO SHANGRI-LA*** BHUTAN, THE DRAGON KINGDOM"
- "Bhutan Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhutan
- Hotels in Bhutan
- Transportation in Bhutan
- Nightlife in Bhutan
- Restaurants in Bhutan
- Shopping in Bhutan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhutan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhutan
- 19 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bhutan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhutan
- Posted in Travel Pakistan Forum "Re: Would I Be Stupid..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go for the GHO!"
- Uploaded a Video to Bhutan
- Commented on one of Prinsalsita's Bhutan travel pages
- updated a Bhutan Travel Page "BHUTAN - the last true illusion of the Himalaya"
- Wrote a Review The King of Bhutan in Bhutan Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 67 reviews, 269 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 32 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 45 reviews, 120 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 38 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 34 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 21 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Borobudur Intro, 14 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues