Tibet Local Custom Tips by tremendopunto Top 5 Page for this destination
Tibet Local Customs: 97 reviews and 118 photos
dried cow dung in handy portions on the walls
The lack of firewood in this waste land of the Himalaya makes people creative. They collect the cow dung, put it into handy portions (dinner plate size) and let it dry on walls/house walls. Nothing else but recycling. Using the rare natural resources carefully!
Another way to save natural resources and to overcome the lack of firewood is using sunenergy by collectingmirrors to heat up the teawater for example. Clever!
pilgrims in front of the Jokhang Temple
Despite the Chinese surpressing of the traditional Tibetan belief, especially concerning the Dalai Lama, the Tibetans kept their faith. There are still so many Nomads and Pilgrims circling their holy places with their prayer wheels and an om mani padme hum on their lips. Some do their pilgrim circuit all the way by their full body length on the ground - really amazing! And nevertheless how much money they have (or not have) they always donate some for Buddha. The pic shows pilgrims in front of the Jokhang Temple, the holiest Tibetan Temple.
More Reviews (29)
tremendopunto's Related Pages
Tibet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Roof of the World - Under Construction"
- "Returning to Tibet!"
- "TIBET: unique people in unique land... and Beijing"
- "Roof of the World"
- "Tibet, the Buddhists on top of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tibet
- Hotels in Tibet
- Transportation in Tibet
- Nightlife in Tibet
- Restaurants in Tibet
- Shopping in Tibet
- Warnings and Dangers in Tibet
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bang O Hotels
- Opatija Hotels
- Bet Guvrin Hotels
- Marina di Ravenna
- Lipa City Hotels
- Slowinski Park Narodowy
Badges & Stats in Tibet
- 42 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Tibet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tibet
Videos in TibetSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 67 reviews, 269 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 32 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 45 reviews, 120 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 38 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 34 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 21 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Borobudur Intro, 14 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues