"Returning to Tibet!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet by tremendopunto

Tibet Travel Guide: 1,402 reviews and 4,147 photos

Travel report about my second visit to Tibet

For my latest trip in August 2006, I entered Tibet from Nepal to go all the 1.000km to Lhasa by Jeep. The typical route went from Kathmandu to the bordertown Kodari with getting stopped by the Maoists once - but because of the ongoing talks withe the democratic parties, the rebells just asked for a "goodwill" donation. When you reach the border, you have to walk over the Friendship bridge to the Chinese side to do the paper work while your baggage gets smoked with bug-killer. Ok, and on the road again from Zhangmu over passes above 5.000m past Tingri (where you get a glimpse on the Everest), Shigatse, Gyantse all the way to Lhasa. There are heavy roadconstructions going on at the moment - which blocked our way, let us wait for hours or take the worst detours possible, earning a flat tire and a broken axle of one jeep. But that is part of the game and makes Tibet still to an adventure. In a few month you will fly by with full speed on a fancy highway (that really deserves the name highway - compared to the path I saw;-), just like at home. Thats not my illusion of Tibet - but modernization finds its way. There are many beautiful places on the way. Take a look at the tips and share my impressions of those places. More detailed pages of the main places will follow soon.
Here is a very very short summary as a sneak preview short summary clip),

Finally finished, my complete Tibet video in 5 parts:
From Kathmandu to Tibet with Tingri and Qomolangma
Shigatse and Gyantse
Lhasa
Ganden
Sera and Drepung

The first time on top of the world in 2004

About my first trip in April 2004, I only went to the holy city of Lhasa, the seat of the Gods. Because of my short time and my extensive travel plans for China (it is always a trade-off between time, money and places to see) I chose to take the plane from Chengdu to Lhasa. This was a good opportunity to get a good look over the high peaks of the Himalayan mountain range.

Now that I can compare the different seasons, I have to recommend to visit Lhasa in off-season. Since it turns more into a Disney Land, crowded with tourists in summer. For example the debating classes of the monks in Sera Monastery were totally crowded with tourists in August - actually more tourists than monks, with "funny" people disturbing the scene by running right between two monks, who were doing their debate, and putting the camera into their faces - that even the nicest monks had to push them back....."nice" to see those "sensitive" tourists.....
Whereas in the beginning of April, I was on my own, enjoying their debates in silence!

Om Mani Padme Hum

Wherever you go you will always see pittoresque stone paintings and rock carvings, prayer flags flying in the wind, prayer wheels sending their prayers to heaven and mani stones.

• Last visit to Tibet: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

You made a great trip and created a fabulous page! Thanks a lot!~

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Outstanding photos/detail - gave me a good glimpse of the mystery and magic of Tibet. Grazie, Carol <(•¿•)>

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM

A country that is still on my wish list. Thanks for allowing us to see it through your eyes ;-)

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Pity..ha ha. I was having my hands full with mum and sis. Blame the women in my life. Ha ha. I received 3 - 1 from UAE and 2 from Pakistan. Shd I expect more, mate?

• besal's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Great tip on Tibet. Definetly on my things to do list...but will go via KKH..hopefully one day. Regards. Amir

• blacksnail's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Hey, ur tips and photos made me can't breath properly. I intended to visit tibet in Sept this year. But will see how the riot goes! How many days you spent it tibet?

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Chris, Thanks for your comment on my youtube. Sorry I'm so late in replying. Yes, China including Tibet is awesome. It looks like you have been to the Mainland 4 times. I've only been 3 times. However, I've been to HK so many times that I lost count. :)

• magdalena2007's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM

hoping to get to Tibet next year! :) love your pics!

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM

What a tragedy in the news... would have loved to be able to visit Tibet whilst in Nepal, but funds restricted it. Hope the riots don't escalate further! Namaste!

• Helenbb's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 9:28 PM

i was in JiuZhaiGou several days ago . lots Tibetan there and the view is almost the same as you said here - prayer flags, prayer wheels and the wild dogs of Tibet. i had pics of those dogs too. you know what. they are very expensive. more than Euro1000

tremendopunto

“"In the long run we are all dead" John Maynard Keynes”

Badges & Stats in Tibet