"The BIG one - Qomolangma, Sagarmatha or Mt.Everest" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Everest by tremendopunto

Mount Everest Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 187 photos

The BIG one-Qomolangma(Tibetan),Sagarmatha(Nepali)

I had planned to go on the Everest Trek, all the way via Kala Pattar to the Everest Base Camp......but the change of temperatures from the Indian Thar desrt to Kathmandu during monsoon gave me a bad cold with fever. So I had to cancel my trekking dream, before I could start it.... But therefore I had two other opportunities to the one and only Mt.Everest.

My first view on this magnificent mountain was taken on my return flight from Bhutan. The clouds cover all the mountainrange with big names like Lhotse, Makalu and Choy Oyu - except one peak, the peak of the highest mountain of this planet, Mt.Everest.
This view is of course not what you can call watching by "fair means".

But my second possibility from Tingri/Tibet show a "fair" view on the mountain, called Qomolangma by Tibetans and Sagarmata by the Nepali people. We stood for ours in Tingri watching the Mt. Everest hiding behind clouds (hours, because the road was closed due to rebuilding anyway). Even if the was no perfect view on it, the scene of this montain range is incredibly fascinating!
Later, shortly behind Tingri Monsieur Forclaz from Switzerland took this picture and did not forget to send it to me. Mr. Forclaz deserves all the credit for capturing this beautiful moment!

The one and only Mt.Everest-highest peak on earth

You could say it is just another mountain......and since the base camp starts at a height of approx. 5.200m, the peak itself has just the same relative height from there (difference of 3.648m) like many other mountains.......BUT NO forget this idea!
This mountain really is so spectacular - it just catches you! You can understand why mountaineers get so posessed by this peak...it is fascinating!

Just take a look at this peak, can you imagine someone standing here while you fly past this place by plane?

You cant?!? Well, than check out my short clip: short summary clip

• Last visit to Mount Everest: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2007

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Yeah...wouldn't it be neat to see the flags from the climbers...as you're flying past that peak? Yikes! Hope you have a great birthday.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Fascinating. You have given me a new goal..to see Mt. Everest. Great photos.

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 1:38 PM

I can't wait to see it for myself. My expedition starts March 07... hope to reach EBC by June :) and I will hoist a VT flag haha!! Namaste!

• Hui-Hui's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 7:08 AM

You were lucky to see the highest mountain of the world, Mt. Everest in real! I wish to have chance to do it at least once in my life...

tremendopunto

“"In the long run we are all dead" John Maynard Keynes”

Badges & Stats in Mount Everest

Have you been to Mount Everest?