Bagan Transportation Tips by tremendopunto Top 5 Page for this destination

Bagan Transportation: 34 reviews and 69 photos

Bus from Mandalay to Bagan - a bumpy joyride Bagan, to and from, Overland Review

There is a regular bus connection between Mandalay and Bagan (several buses a day). For the roughly 300km it takes about 8h - that says it all about the road condition. Additionally to the common exchange of bodyfluids with you seatneighbour, I was lucky to have a kid next to me, that got sick and had to throw up several times...the juicy bags where handed over me to the window and out....
Prices went up in Burma, if I remember correctly they charged me around 8 USD for the ride.

Type: Bus

• Updated Dec 4, 2007
cycling around Bagan - Bagan

cycling around Bagan

Cycling around Bagan area Round Bagan, Cycling Review

Bicycles are a very convenient way of getting around the huge area of Bagan. You are flexible and quick enough to get around. Renting a bike for a day was 1000 Kyats per day. The problem was that those bikes were rather small "Holland" bikes, not made for my size nor my recent acl-surgery. My knee complained, but I thought it is ok ;-)

Type: Bicycle

• Updated Dec 2, 2007
View across the river to Tangyi mountaintop - Bagan

View across the river to Tangyi mountaintop

boat/ferrycrossing the Irradwaddy Round Bagan, Boat Review

From Bupaya you can take a boat across the river to the other side, visting Mt. Tangyi (or Tankyi) and a monastery.
Offers were around 3000-4000 Kyats.

Type: Ship/Boat

• Updated Dec 2, 2007
To/from airport and flight connections to YG, MDL Bagan, to and from, Air Review

The airport is just 5 minutesby car from Nyaung U.
The connections within Myanmar are very good, but the timetable is not that reliable. My flight was supposed to be a direct flight from Bagan to Yangon. But what happened was that my flight was delayed and instead of a direct flight I had two (2!) stops in Mandalay and Heho with another break due to engine problems before I finally arrived in Yangon, way behind any timetable of course.

This way, at least, I got to know that the flight time from bagan to mandalay is just 25 minutes - nothing compared to the 8h bumpy busride I enjoyed on the way to bagan.

And again, for all flights, avoid the government carriers!

Type: Airplane

Balloon over Bagan - Bagan
Balloon over Bagan Balloon Trips Review

If you wnat to burn some cash for a good, if not the best over Bagan, try the Balloonservice. I didnt seriously think about it nor did I dare to ask for prices, but I read it costs around 250 bucks.......

Type: Other

pickup, there is still room for some more! - Bagan

pickup, there is still room for some more!

Pickup Bagan, to and from, Overland Review

This is a typical way of transportation. Plus there is always room for some more people, nobody gets ever rejected waiting along the road for a ride. Just squeeze into it ;-)

Type: Car/Motor Home

• Written Dec 2, 2007
Boatride on the Irradwaddy from Mandalay to Bagan Bagan, to and from, Boat Review

There are new quick boat connections between both places that take only 6h. But because of the tense situation and the lack of tourists during my time this offer was closed for this time.
But it is a nice alternative to the bumpy 8h busride, if it gets on schedule again, soon.

Type: Ship/Boat

tremendopunto

“"In the long run we are all dead" John Maynard Keynes”

Badges & Stats in Bagan