Bagan Transportation Tips by tremendopunto Top 5 Page for this destination
Bagan Transportation: 34 reviews and 69 photos
There is a regular bus connection between Mandalay and Bagan (several buses a day). For the roughly 300km it takes about 8h - that says it all about the road condition. Additionally to the common exchange of bodyfluids with you seatneighbour, I was lucky to have a kid next to me, that got sick and had to throw up several times...the juicy bags where handed over me to the window and out....
Prices went up in Burma, if I remember correctly they charged me around 8 USD for the ride.
cycling around Bagan
Bicycles are a very convenient way of getting around the huge area of Bagan. You are flexible and quick enough to get around. Renting a bike for a day was 1000 Kyats per day. The problem was that those bikes were rather small "Holland" bikes, not made for my size nor my recent acl-surgery. My knee complained, but I thought it is ok ;-)
View across the river to Tangyi mountaintop
From Bupaya you can take a boat across the river to the other side, visting Mt. Tangyi (or Tankyi) and a monastery.
Offers were around 3000-4000 Kyats.
The airport is just 5 minutesby car from Nyaung U.
The connections within Myanmar are very good, but the timetable is not that reliable. My flight was supposed to be a direct flight from Bagan to Yangon. But what happened was that my flight was delayed and instead of a direct flight I had two (2!) stops in Mandalay and Heho with another break due to engine problems before I finally arrived in Yangon, way behind any timetable of course.
This way, at least, I got to know that the flight time from bagan to mandalay is just 25 minutes - nothing compared to the 8h bumpy busride I enjoyed on the way to bagan.
And again, for all flights, avoid the government carriers!
If you wnat to burn some cash for a good, if not the best over Bagan, try the Balloonservice. I didnt seriously think about it nor did I dare to ask for prices, but I read it costs around 250 bucks.......
pickup, there is still room for some more!
This is a typical way of transportation. Plus there is always room for some more people, nobody gets ever rejected waiting along the road for a ride. Just squeeze into it ;-)
Type: Car/Motor Home
There are new quick boat connections between both places that take only 6h. But because of the tense situation and the lack of tourists during my time this offer was closed for this time.
But it is a nice alternative to the bumpy 8h busride, if it gets on schedule again, soon.
More Reviews (34)
tremendopunto's Related Pages
Bagan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagan - the fabulous fairyland"
- "Historical wonderland."
- "The enchanting Bagan"
- "Bagan - indescribable!!"
- "BAGAN MYANMAR (BURMA)"
- "Temples of Bagan - Field of Dreams"
- "Sueño de un Rey-A King Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bagan
- Hotels in Bagan
- Transportation in Bagan
- Nightlife in Bagan
- Restaurants in Bagan
- Shopping in Bagan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bagan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bagan
- 41 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bagan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagan
- Commented on one of tremendopunto's Bagan travel pages
- updated a Bagan Travelogue "...more Sunrise and Sunset over Bagan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunrise and Sunset over Bagan"
- Posted in Travel Pakistan Forum "Re: Would I Be Stupid..."
- Uploaded a Video to Bagan
- Wrote a Review Myauk Guni Temple about Myauk Guni Temple in Bagan Things to Do
Videos in BaganSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 67 reviews, 269 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 32 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 45 reviews, 120 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 38 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 34 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 21 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Borobudur Intro, 14 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (58)
- Ananda Temple- 18 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Gubyaukgyi temple- 6 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Dhammayangyi Pahto- 10 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Shwesandaw Paya- 7 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Sunset- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Thatbyinnyu Temple- 6 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Gaw Daw Palin temple, Old Bagan- 5 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Shwezigon Paya- 9 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Dhammayazika Pagoda- 3 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Manuha Temple- 3 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Bagan Things to Do