"Bagan - the fabulous fairyland" Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan by tremendopunto
Bagan Travel Guide: 322 reviews and 1,314 photos
Bagan, the promised "Buddhafield" is a wide plain of approx. 42 square kilometers with formerly more than 4.000 pagodas, temples and monasteries - maybe the most impressive manmade symbol of human longing for redemption. The legend goes that Buddha himslef once stayed in Bagan and predicted that the next Buddha would appear here. So for his followers the area of Bagan is a Buddhafield where you can receive the biggest merits for your reincarnation. Making sacrifices here will give you the multiple credit of doing the same somewhere else. This resulted in one of the biggest collection of pagodas since every king or wealthy person that could afford to build pagodas, did so in this plain.
Take a look at my first Bagan Clip No.1. And here is theSecond Part and the Clip No.3.
Also for its decline there is a legend saying there was a prediction for the last king, Nahathihapati, that when he would finish his pagoda - the Mingalazedi Paya - his empire would be extinguished. So he stopped all work.....for a while......but finally did finish it just to see the Mongols at the gates. The king fled in panic, letting down the promised Buddhafield, the holy city of Bagan. For the Burmese a betrayal of their belief, they lost all trust in Bagan as the connection between heaven and earth - and left the place abandoned.
But even today, a long time after its hey-days, the pagodas are still in use and pilgrims come here to pray.
Nearly every pagoda has a story to tell or hides some dark secrets like Dhammayangyi Paya. Take your time to explore this wide area with its mass of amazing buildings. You can get lost for days in this maze of temples and pagodas......
Everybody is talking about Angkor, but Bagan offers the same magnificence WITHOUT the millions of masstourists. Especially now, the people of Burma are in desperate need for (the attentive) visitors. Calls for (tourist)boycotting this country only hits the common people - not the Junta leaders. I mentioned "attentive" tourists, because you have to look carefully where you spend your money. Avoiding all profit for the Generals and their crew might be impossible since visa fees, taxes or also entry fees end up in their pockets, but by all means avoid luxury 5-star hotels, government airlines and all business involved with the Junta and the generals who try to keep all business within their "families".
For Bagan, especially avoid the watchtower - those 10 bucks certainly go to the wrong pockets.
For Burma, I guess individual travelling is the best solution, since you have a better control of your spendings. You can minimize the Juntas profit and maximize the benfit to the common people.
And for security worries, according to my experience, Burma is a very safe country with the nicest people you can imagine.
More coming soon..........
Located south-west of Dhammayangyi this is just a minor temple that doesnt get much attention from tourists. Everywhere... more travel advice
tremendopunto's Related Pages
Bagan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagan - the fabulous fairyland"
- "Historical wonderland."
- "The enchanting Bagan"
- "BAGAN MYANMAR (BURMA)"
- "Bagan - indescribable!!"
- "Temples of Bagan - Field of Dreams"
- "Sueño de un Rey-A King Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bagan
- Hotels in Bagan
- Transportation in Bagan
- Nightlife in Bagan
- Restaurants in Bagan
- Shopping in Bagan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bagan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bagan
- 41 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bagan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagan
- Commented on one of tremendopunto's Bagan travel pages
- updated a Bagan Travelogue "...more Sunrise and Sunset over Bagan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunrise and Sunset over Bagan"
- Posted in Travel Pakistan Forum "Re: Would I Be Stupid..."
- Uploaded a Video to Bagan
- Wrote a Review Myauk Guni Temple about Myauk Guni Temple in Bagan Things to Do
Videos in BaganSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 67 reviews, 269 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 32 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 45 reviews, 120 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 38 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 34 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 21 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Borobudur Intro, 14 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues