"Bikaner - a Palace and a rat temple!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bikaner by tremendopunto
Bikaner Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 484 photos
Bikaner is a a 10h busride from Delhi right in the Thar desert. Due to renovations of the railwaytracks (from summer 2006 to .....?) there was only the bus as a reasonable way of transportation. The bus leaves from Serai Khale Khan bus adda.
The Highlights of Bikaner are undoubtedly the magnificent Janagarh Fort - a well preserved Palace just like in fairytales.
The second wonder is the Karni Mata Rat Temple in Deshnok. Yes, it is a beautiful marble temple with silver doors.......just for rats!!!!!
Well, people in this region believe that their ancestors have a rebirth as rats. So to do something good for your ancestors they get a great place to stay (even the open air areas are protected with nets against hawks or other enemies looking for a snack) including a huge kitchen with pots of a diameter of three meters and more where all this delicious sweet meals are cooked for aproximately millions of rats!!!!
By the way, you are not allowed to enter with shoes of course. Watch your steps! You dont want to kill a reincarnation! If you are lucky, a rat will walk over your foot - that will bring you good luck in the future :-)
And if you are really lucky, you will see a white rat. That would be the jackpot! (if so much luck happens to you - run for a lottery ticket, you will win for sure, graranteed!!!)
The temple is situated in Deshnok, 40km from Bikaner. The bus will get you there in 40 minutes or so.
Here is a short clip of my Deshnok trip to the Karni Mata Temple
- Pros:A fabulous Fort, an amazing animal adventure in Deshnok and a nice old town!
- Cons:Cant see any............
- In a nutshell:Dont miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dive into the beautiful old town! Its dizzling narrow lanes full of busy shops, beautiful old houses, temples and nice... more travel advice
Rickshaws are the most convinient way to get around in places in India. The traffic is chaotic, but there is always... more travel advice
tremendopunto's Related Pages
Bikaner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bikaner- Desert Caravanserai"
- "Camel Country of Bikaner"
- "Radjasthan - Bikaner - the western part of India"
- "Bikaner - a Palace and a rat temple!"
- "Bikaner-Royalty in full splendour"
- "Bikaner, Rajasthan."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bikaner
- Hotels in Bikaner
- Transportation in Bikaner
- Restaurants in Bikaner
- Shopping in Bikaner
- Warnings and Dangers in Bikaner
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bikaner
- 8 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Bikaner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bikaner
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 67 reviews, 269 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 32 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 45 reviews, 120 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 38 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 34 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 21 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Borobudur Intro, 14 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues