"Live and let die in Varanasi" Varanasi by tremendopunto

Varanasi Travel Guide: 648 reviews and 1,510 photos

Varanasi is one of the holiest cities according to Hindu belief.

But what can I say about Varanasi? Maybe some travellers I met on the way to Varansi had the best description for this place:
they told me it is one of the most interesting, but at the same time also one of the most ugliest places in India.

You have the dizzling alleys of the old quarter, the busy ghats with the crematories, temples and much more! We were even lucky to get some monkeys in our toilet :-)

Other things are the typical electricity shortages and a bad experience when we witnessed a robbery of an Indian woman right on the ghats during an electricity fall out at night. Everything went so quick, a scream and someone running up the stairs into the alleys.....

I dont want to scare anyone. This could happen in every major town, even in front of my home. Personally we had only good experiences, but seeing this leaves a bad taste somehow.

Not every body can be cremated following Hindu belief. Pregnant women, children to a certain age, people bitten by a snake and lepers are sent to the bottom of the holy river Ganges. Other reasons for bodyparts floating in the river might be that the family could not afford enough wood of the Banyan tree, necessary for a cremation.
Keep that in mind when you do a rivercruise.

Here is a short clip of my trip to Varanasi

My former sneak preview clip

These intersting woodcarvings can be seen at the Nepali temple in Varansi. The best ones Ive seen are in Bhaktapur/Nepal though.

• Last visit to Varanasi: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2007

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 2:21 AM

One of the better pages on Varanasi, nice practical tips. Cheers, Pierre

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 7:29 AM

Great page of this holy city of Varanasi. Doubt I will take a dip either. Cheers, SL :)

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 8:23 AM

simply....amazing!!!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Hi Chris, have enjoyed being taken to another of your adventurous and challenging travel locations!The Ganges... washing their sins and sicknesses - maybe not so hard rather to take Jesus' offer to do it!

• josephescu's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2007 at 2:03 AM

great days indeed!

• El_Mexicano's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM

tremenda pagina

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Hey Chris, liked the honesty with which you did the narrations. Photos are great too. Being an Indian, I am very proud of Varanasi

• brendazart's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Chris, I so enjoyed all of your pages. Your descriptions are great, and you write so well. Naturally, I loved the photos, too. thanks. Can't wait to get to India -- Jan. 2007.

• Hui-Hui's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 9:15 AM

I like your nice page. :) Varanasi is such a important, mysterious and holy place. If I have chance to go back to India, definitely I will visit it!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 4:06 AM

Visiting India is special, but i like this country - Nice tips

tremendopunto

“"In the long run we are all dead" John Maynard Keynes”

Badges & Stats in Varanasi

Have you been to Varanasi?

Latest Activity in Varanasi